Sign in to follow this  

Stupid suspension question

which clicker is the compression adjuster on the fork? the one on top or the one on bottom? how about the shock?

which clicker is the compression adjuster on the fork? the one on top or the one on bottom? how about the shock?

Im pretty sure the top in compression and the bottom is rebound. Same way on the shock but im not 100%

The thumperfaq sticky at the top has a link to the manual.

If I'm not mistaken, on the 03 YZ250 the compression adjuster is on bottom and rebound is on top. Didn't they change on the 05/06+ years to compression on top and rebound on bottom? At least thats the way my 06 is, my 03 YZ125 was the opposite. Correct me if I'm wrong:confused: Now on the rear shock, its compression on top and rebound on bottom. I KNOW that for sure!

Techmc

jeese. now im confused. i was gonna say "man, no wonder my suspension felt soft, not only am i 212lbs, but the compression setter on the front was 17 clicks away from hard and the rear was 14 clicks away"

but now idk if it's rebound now

If I'm not mistaken, on the 03 YZ250 the compression adjuster is on bottom and rebound is on top. Didn't they change on the 05/06+ years to compression on top and rebound on bottom? At least thats the way my 06 is, my 03 YZ125 was the opposite. Correct me if I'm wrong:confused: Now on the rear shock, its compression on top and rebound on bottom. I KNOW that for sure!

Techmc

crap, ur right. that woulda made for a weird ride. max rebound soft compression.

whats a normal compression to rebound ratio? like if i max out the compression clickers to compensate for my weight with the stock spring, then by how much should i increase the rebound? if any

x2468 whats a normal compression to rebound ratio? like if i max out the compression clickers to compensate for my weight with the stock spring, then by how much should i increase the rebound? if any

thats a no no.... i thoguth that would work and found it really just made things worse.... 200 is a lil steep i know but thats what i got in my springs... im about 200-205 and it was by far the best of much money i have spent on my bike.... if i were to do it all agian i would start with that rather then it being one of the last things i did..... u want to be around mid of the clicker settings imop.... but then agian i am only riding for a year so take anything i give ya with a grain of salt and a shot of penicillin

Hey, x2468, I remember many times when my son was racing his 125,250 or 450 I would have to get down in the dirt/mud to bump up compression after a practice session.:) It's something that you don't really forget about the "clickers". When I got my 06 I said GREAT! now the compression is at the top I hope I don't have to mess with the rebound now!

Tech

Yep, compression is on the bottom of the older Kayaba forks.

thats a no no.... i thoguth that would work and found it really just made things worse.... 200 is a lil steep i know but thats what i got in my springs... im about 200-205 and it was by far the best of much money i have spent on my bike.... if i were to do it all agian i would start with that rather then it being one of the last things i did..... u want to be around mid of the clicker settings imop.... but then agian i am only riding for a year so take anything i give ya with a grain of salt and a shot of penicillin

i plan on getting new springs, just i only have like another 4 days to ride before school starts and everything gets packed up for next summer :) so it's not worth it to buy some now.

Hey, x2468, I remember many times when my son was racing his 125,250 or 450 I would have to get down in the dirt/mud to bump up compression after a practice session.:) It's something that you don't really forget about the "clickers". When I got my 06 I said GREAT! now the compression is at the top I hope I don't have to mess with the rebound now!

Tech

problem is, now u have tot ake the bars off every time u want to change it. i had to take the bars off to get to the rebound (which i thought were compression)

well someone asked me if i had done it yet in another thread. so i guess i'll try it.

i just put all of my clickers (rebound and compression front and back) at 2 clicks away from hardest. they were all like 15-17 clicks away from hardest before. the last owner was 180lbs and had his suspension revalved and set for intermediate hare scrambles. it felt pretty soft IMO. i'll give it a shot. the rebound im just not sure about. i dont want to be bounced off the landing of any jumps. and i want it to maintain traction through roots, holes and bumps

for the record. im not MX racing, i trail ride.

Here's a little tip: if you want to have good traction, keep the rebound at a faster setting.

well i stiffened up the front compression and rebound to the max, and then backed them out 2 clicks each. on the back i did the same thing, except for the rear rebou8nd i backed out 3.

results weren't too bad. it was 10X better at handling landings, and felt more planted. also, the front used to dive alot in the sand and it doesn't do that anymore. but the front was a little too stiff. it was nervous in the trail and through sliding turns, and the front tucked in the mud a lot easier. i think i'll back off 1 or 2 clicks.

previously the front was like 17 clicks away from hardest, and the rear was like 14. idk how many clicks there are in all, but that seemed like a lot to me.