Sign in to follow this  

Throttle return cable missing

Just bought a used 07ktm 250 xcf, and noticed the throttle return cable is missing. Did a search and found some people are removing them completely. I have a new one on order, kind of dont like the idea of riding it until a new cable arrives. Is this a popular mod for some reason? It could be a safety issue couldnt it? Thanks.

I removed the return cable on my 07' 525. Seemed to make the throttle action smoother. I wouldnt sweat not having it for now......The stock carb has a strong return action on its own.

I removed my return cable did not notice much improvment my self I hooked it back up I had a throttle hang wide open on me before no fun triyng to stop the bike.

When I had my 07 540exc I removed the return cable and noticed the throttle to be considerably smoother, but its not like a 'must do mod'. Try it! See how you like.

Just bought a used 07ktm 250 xcf, and noticed the throttle return cable is missing. Did a search and found some people are removing them completely. I have a new one on order, kind of dont like the idea of riding it until a new cable arrives. Is this a popular mod for some reason? It could be a safety issue couldnt it? Thanks.

You can ride without the return cable on. I had mine break awhile back and have been lazy on getting a new one. I did not notice any difference using only one cable. I would run both that way you always have a spare.:)

thanks for the info guys, Ill go easy until new parts get here, even if its not a big deal, its kind of like on monkey on my back until I get one hooked up.

I always remove them, can ride much longer before experiancing arm pump, quicker smoother responce, snaps back to idle better, have not had a thorttle jamb open since getting hand gaurds. That is the item I would not ride without!

I removed the return cable on my 07' 525. Seemed to make the throttle action smoother. I wouldnt sweat not having it for now......The stock carb has a strong return action on its own.

no kidding! I barely let my grip on the grip a little loose and smack, the throttle closed.

its got like 3 times the strength of a yamaha one, you should be fine though

I agree, its not needed.

Maybe 20 or 30 years ago but not on a modern dirt bike.

You notice 2st don't use them.

Besides if the throttle did ever stick, just pull in the clutch or hit the kill switch. I'm sure everyone can remember that when they are in a panic heading for a tree WFO. lol

I agree, its not needed.

Maybe 20 or 30 years ago but not on a modern dirt bike.

You notice 2st don't use them.

Besides if the throttle did ever stick, just pull in the clutch or hit the kill switch. I'm sure everyone can remember that when they are in a panic heading for a tree WFO. lol

I do that when my idle goes crazy... STUPID CALIFORNIAN EMISSIONS CONTROLL:mad: