Sign in to follow this  

2007 Ktm 450 Exc

I just bought 2007 KTM EXC 450. I want to get an engine skid plate for it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just bought 2007 KTM EXC 450. I want to get an engine skid plate for it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yes, my recommendation is to do a search. :D

Just kidding (not really), I like the stock KTM plastic skid plate. I have had no problems with it and it is cheap.:)

+1 for the Utah Sport Cycle Ricochet.

+2 on this plate...You may or may not know this but Ricochet (formerly Utah

Sport Cycle) makes skid plates for several of the big name manufacturers and

is the supplier of the TT skid plate. :)

I ran one on my DRZ and now on my KTM. You won't find a better skid plate!

I've used the KTM hard parts quick release poly skid plate on 2 different KTMs and love it. It comes off super easy for cleaning, holds up well, seems to dampen noise instead of amplify it like an aluminum plate and I've seen them on KTM factory team race bikes like Lafferty's. I wish they made one for my '07 250 XCF

So if summarizes the responses I have here and have seen on other threads, there 3 choices,...

1) KTM Poly quick release...seems to hold up well to most situations (read about dented frames?). Quick releases is a plus for Oil changes and cleaning. About $70. Seems to be some concern if it takes an unexpected hard hit?

2) Aluminium skid plate...didn't see a KTM plate that was advertised for my 07 KTM 450 EXC but Utah Sports makes one (P/N 247) for $82. Assume durability is not an issue. Assume you can change oil with it on. Downside maybe ease of cleaning and amplifing sound? If dented and straightened could be hard to re-line up mounting bolts?

3) eline carbon/Kevlar ....most durable? Expensive,,,$159. Doesn't resonate sound...assume can change oil with it on...better motor coverage than aluminium plates. Still would need to remove to clean out although straighten and mounting hole should not be a issue.

I think I'm leaning toward the alumium skid plate. Any comments from anyone on my assessment above? Anyone disagree?

I have been very happy with the KTM hardparts aluminum skid plate on my 07 450exc. It is very well made and offers good protection from rocks & logs. I run two thin strips of weather stripping between the frame tubes and skid plate to deaden any vibration. This skid plate does allow access to the oil drain plug and filter screen bolt. I find it easier to remove the two rear bolts and pivot the skid plate downward to change the oil and access the filter screen bolt to torque.

Flatlandracing.com makes a good one also out of aluminum. +1 on using weather stripping to deaden sound.

Interesting....since I decided to go aluminum I have found that I liked the flatlandracing and KTM hardparts skid plates the best. The utah sports skid plate that I looked at for my bike had a big slot in the front that I thought could be an exposure. I liked the look of the flatland racing skid plate and the way the wings wrapped around. They seemed to come back a little far on the shifter side I thought? I guess I will go with the hardpart skid plate. Two reasons: I like the hardparts mounting slightly better and I can still get it this week. I'm planning a a 2 day Vermont trail ride this weekend.

👍

I have and like the ALUM Enduro Engineering Skid Plate for my EXC it seems pretty bomb proof (Reiter is the Testing Ground), I had a plastic quarter turn KTM hard parts skid plate, well it fell off... enough said. E-line, a carbon fiber skid plate, hmmm yeah it's light, yeah it looks great, but as soon as you compromise it (i.e. crack, crush skid across a surface) the strength is compromised and really can easily be repaired and probably should be replaced. Besides I'm a little upset with my e-line purchases. Just a thought(rant) jb

Thanks everybody who replied. Most of the KTM Shops I spoke to around here weren't that big on the plastic/composite plates. So I bought the KTM hard parts aluminium, it was readily available. Put it on with the foam on the frame rails as "Canadian K" suggested. Ran it thru the woods of Vermont all weekend, worked fine. I'm happy.

Hey KTMgendy,

Ditto on the happy with hard parts aluminum skid plate.

Question - do you still use the gas/vent catch can (EXC street legal) factory installed under the airbox near swingarm pivot?

If so, did you get two slightly longer bolts to compensate for the thickness of the alumimnum skid plate?

The stock bolts will work but only a few threads will be holding the skid plate and catch can in place. About 1/4" inch longer bolts will ensure they hold everything tight.

Have fun!

I am still using the original bolts they seemed to catch enough when I tightened them down. I also used locktite on them. Good reminder though, I'll check them closely for a while just to make sure I don't have any problems.