Sign in to follow this  

Place for kid to ride in San Diego

I am looking to take my daughter out and let her put around on her TTR-50 with training wheels. I am not taking my bike and just want a quick place to go so she can have some fun. I dont want to have to drive to BFE just so she can have a little fun. Can anyone think of something closer than alpine area. I am in the Poway area. She is still pretty timid so no tracks yet. I am ok with a not so legal area as I will just play dumb. Believe me it wont be a stretch. :)

There's got to be a horse corale in Poway someone will let you use.

Barona Oaks has a peewee track, but afaik that's $20 a pop. Palomar Mt. is semi-close, but not legal. Maybe Bear Valley OHV?

How big is your back yard? I like the horse corral idea, but make sure your daughter can stop. No sense smashing into the corral...

My backyard is pretty big. The main problem is there is a pool in the middle :)

Horse corral isnt a bad idea.

IIRC Barona is only open on race weekends and I was going to take her out this afternoon.

Where is Bear Valley OHV

Where is Bear Valley OHV
What he said. ??

Amago is open all days 'cept Fri.

There's a simple little peewee track she can ride around.

A little bike is $10-$15 for the day.

Where is Bear Valley OHV

Bear Valley is at the north end of the Corral Canyon OHV area off the I-8 east of Alpine.

The OHV road through Bear Valley is a little too rugged for someone on training wheels.

I realize that in your first post you said you didn't want to drive all the way to Alpine, BUT if you do end up going all the way to Corral Canyon from Poway, you'd be better off driving another 20 minutes to Four Corners. There are graded dirt roads around there more suitable for a beginner.

I know its further than you are looking for, but in reality the best place is probably McCains(Lark Canyon). Park by the tree and you have shade, tables and a big flat area where you'll have lots room to watch her. Not sure about crowds since it's been a while since I've been there. In that case you can find a spot further along away from the tree where you can play. Good luck and have fun!

I know its further than you are looking for, but in reality the best place is probably McCains(Lark Canyon). Park by the tree and you have shade, tables and a big flat area where you'll have lots room to watch her. Not sure about crowds since it's been a while since I've been there. In that case you can find a spot further along away from the tree where you can play. Good luck and have fun!

I have to agree.

McCain would be my pick. Tons of room there for her. I go often during the week and it's rare to see other people.

What's that place above Elsinor?

At 80mph might be less than an hour from Poway.

Wildomar. I've never been there, check in W2R. I've heard its small and packed on weekends

Yeah, definitely small and packed. We blew it off last summer after showing up and seeing a *lot* of bikes and went to El Mirage. Quite the loony bin, El Mirage but there's plenty of space to ride. Hot as heck in the day too. Another favorite is Gorman because they have designated "training" areas fenced off for the kidlets. That's quite a trek from Poway though. :)

I took my son to the track in Elsinore when he had his training wheels on. He rode the track, but there are some big open areas in the back by the SXS track that is usually not very busy unless they have a race. You do have to pay a one time membership fee (good for a year) and a fee to ride that day.

Thanks for all the good ideas. Anyone ever ride down by the 905? We used to go there way back and ride around in the valleys and stuff. You could ride all the way up to the fence that divides US and Mexico.

Also we went to Milestone last sunday and she did about 500 laps on the kiddie track. She rode for over 4 hours straight. LOL.

905 and Palm (as they used to be, it just wasn't enforced) are off limits... plenty of folks still ride 905, but citations are issued

You can still ride quite a bit along the border on a plated bike

They are building off the first stop light to the south now. no bueno there.

"You can still ride quite a bit along the border on a plated bike"

amazing what a plate can do

I went out here a year ago to do some jetting one afternoon.

You exit the 905 / Otay Mesa Rd at Innovation, follow the dirt back west, then south across from that house: I parked out of sight and wasn't hassled (there for an hour), but there were the usual suspects (kids on old CR250's riding around like morons). I guess it's hit and miss with the cops there. Good luck and be safe.

ive seen kids riding at elsinore by the pee wee track. looks safe to me. it legal, safe, and right off the 15. good luck.