Sign in to follow this  

How well does a dirt bike fit in a short bed truck?

I'm going to buy a truck, and to know what I want, I need to know how well a full sized dirt bike will fit in the back of a full sized truck. Will it even fit in there with the tailgate down?

Here is the truck i'm thinking about:

5TEJU62N48Z511114_1.jpg

JJ!

What's up man? That looks like a nice rig my man...

you bike should fit in there no prob with the tailgate down. I have 2004 Dakota Quad Cab much like your pic - I have no problem getting 2 250's in the back.

There is a "bed extender" that I have been looking at, kinda cool for the truck, but not really necessary.

no problem it will fit just fine with the gate down if you got a chevy ,ford , dodge it would fit with the gate up if you put the front wheel in the corner and slide the back wheel to the opposite corner by the gate

i have a 94 yota pickup with a 6 foot bed (idk if thats short or not) and my bike will fit without a tail gate so you should be fine... and if you only carry one bike once you strap it down pull the back of the bike to the side and you should be able to close the tailgate

Yeah, i know I can stick it corner to corner. I believe it's a 5 foot bed. Thanks everyone.

well - on avg a full bike is 7' give or take 2-3 inches, so you have to at least go from front of front tire to mid of rear tire to get it in there - 5 foot bed plus 1.5 feet tailgate should be no problem.

My brother has a Nissan 4 door frontier. You can put a couple bikes (not 3, only 2) in the back, with the gate down. You Cannot put 1 bike in with the gate up, even if you go diagonal. But no worries, they work fine with the gate down. Plus your gear can go on your back seat.

Get the aluminum bed extender. That way you can put your coolers and gear in the back and not worry. "Air Gates" are junk. The bed extender is removable when you don't cart your bikes. Be a smart man!

yeah it will fit fine we have a 4 door tacoma with the short bed and my cr 125 will fit straight in (barrely) and then we put a raptor 80 in and a quad ramp (talk about a tight fight:busted: ) but if its just one bike you can put it in corner to corner with the tail gate up.:)

my boyfriends silverado is a shortbed. if we are taking more then 1 bike we put all of them in and then we push the gate up as far as we can. we take the cable that attaches the gate to the bed and loop it around this little nut that is on the side. I'm not really sure how to describe it, i wish i had a pic.

They make a bed extender that actually unfolds into a ramp. I've actually seen it at Costco.

In my silverado i put bikes straight in and pull the two wires that hold the tailgait so that they go around the posts that the tailgait latches to

my boyfriends silverado is a shortbed. if we are taking more then 1 bike we put all of them in and then we push the gate up as far as we can. we take the cable that attaches the gate to the bed and loop it around this little nut that is on the side. I'm not really sure how to describe it, i wish i had a pic.

Bit of caution using this method: The "halfway up" position is also the same angle at which you position the tailgate to remove it. It could easily come off doing this.

Go check for yourself.

I have a Titan crewcab that has a 5.5' box my bike will fit corner to corner with the gate up. How ever i know that truck isn't as wide so I would say if it does it would be smashing the tires.

As everyone else has stated with the gate down you wont have any problems.. Get your self a bed extender. then you can get atleast two bikes. I would even bet you can get three... two facing forwards on the outsides and the middle bike in backwards.. I've had 4 bikes in my truck but that I would not suggest doing.. Especialy with out a bed extender.. Lucky My titan came with out from the factory.

I put my bike at a angle, so the tailgate can shut completly

you can kinda see it in this pic

RaysWork.jpg