Sign in to follow this  

Has anybody had a run in with a pilonidal cyst ?

One of my gym buddies claims he has a pilonidal cyst on his lower back and he wants to get it removed, has anyone had a run in with these ? Could someone just give me a rundown from your personal experience.

Thanks

One of my gym buddies claims he has a pilonidal cyst on his lower back and he wants to get it removed, has anyone had a run in with these ? Could someone just give me a rundown from your personal experience.

Thanks

Officially, it's called a pilodinal abscess, not cyst. They suck. I've had one since I was 18. It gets abscessed (flare ups) and painful due to the pressure. It's been lanced twice and had the wicks to try to get the bad juju out. Right now it is ok and lets me be active. I did some research a while back and there are colon and rectal surgeons that specialize in excising the abscess. Try this place and then Google pilonidal abscess and read away.

there's a website for everything!

I had mine cut out last year. Then I had a drain for three weeks that hung out of my butt like a tail.

The next day, I had to sit for two hours on my butt and drain while I fixed Jeff Dement's hand. It was no fun.

Officially, it's called a pilodinal abscess, not cyst. They suck. I've had one since I was 18. It gets abscessed (flare ups) and painful due to the pressure. It's been lanced twice and had the wicks to try to get the bad juju out. Right now it is ok and lets me be active. I did some research a while back and there are colon and rectal surgeons that specialize in excising the abscess. Try this place and then Google pilonidal abscess and read away.

there's a website for everything!

Thanks renrek, Right now it seems to be alittle uncomfortable for him and he said its the first time he's got it, how long do these flares last and should he be talking to the doctor about it?

I had mine cut out last year. Then I had a drain for three weeks that hung out of my butt like a tail.

The next day, I had to sit for two hours on my butt and drain while I fixed Jeff Dement's hand. It was no fun.

How did the surgery go? would you recomend getting it cut out or just leave it be and deal with being uncomfortable every now and then.

thanks

It sucked to have to get over it, but I don't miss having to have it drained over and over again.