Sign in to follow this  

2007 Te 510

Does anyone here have the 2007 (carb) TE510? I'm looking for what mods are appropriate for the bike, I've heard removing some of the emissions equipment makes a big difference. I purchased an overstock earlier this year and was told wait until you have it 6 months before changing anything.

Also for some reason it starts terrible when it has been sitting a few days (it seems like it goes from no gas to flooded in 0 seconds) any techniques that have been working? I should still be able to take it to the dealer under warranty before I change much.

Can I disable the clutch safety for the electric start? I can't hold the choke/hold the clutch/push the starter at the same time.

what top speed have you gotton out of your bike? I don't know what rpm level is acceptable, does 65mph sound right with stock gearing?

I'm a novice when it comes to working on bikes so any help is appreciated.

thanks

Why would you have to hold the choke?? Pull it out, start the bike, when it warms up a bit, press the choke button back in. :)

Do you close the gas valve when you're done riding??

Top speed on a stock geared bike is more like 90+ MPH

Easiest way for me to start mine- pull the choke out

I give the throttle three whacks

then take your hand off & press the start button, I only had trouble when I tried to start it like my old 2 smoke by twisting the throttle while trying to start it. Thats a no no. I didn't even realise I was doing it until I read a few threads here on starting procedure

Like Ruffus said, give it a few twist of the throttle, pull out choke knob, pull in clutch lever and push the button. Fires up in a heart beat. I will admit to flooding the @$#@$ out of mine when I first got it since I had zero experience with 4 strokes. Have a scortched air filter to show for it.:) That would have been tough to explain to my friends how I burned up my brand new bike by flooding it so bad. Live and learn.

As for mods and such, I don't spend too much time modding and tweaking, I just "lost" the emisions stuff along with the throttle stop (this is the most important thing to loose in my opinion) somewhere along the road on the way home from the dealer, added some rad guards and a skid plate. Have had nothing but good times ever since! Great bike!

As for top speed, I think 90mph is probably a good guess but I do find mine a bit buzzy at high RPM.

I have not been gassing on the throttle, and I have been shutting the gas off when not in use, I thought maybe if I could just put the choke 1/2 on that would help. I also have a kx 250 and an 88 xr600r so i'm fairly used to starting bikes. this one just seems so touchy. I will try the 3 twist / choke again, I thought I tried everything though.

What and how did you remove for the emissions stuff?

I love the bike but I'm pissed that I don't feel it is as reliable starting wise as I would like.

Thanks for the help

Check out these threads:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578273&highlight=must+do+mods

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544825

Those should get you going.

Kind of a bummer about the starting but I think after you get the emissions stuff and jetting sorted, it will be a worl of difference. Don't give up on it, onve you have it dialed in, it is a phenomenal bike!

My bikes been sitting since November, twice since then I've gone out to start it with the same routine, only difference is I have to do it twice to get the fuel in, 3 twist, choke, start button, if it doesn't start within a couple seconds, do it over again. Always on the second try & thats after sitting for months :)

Has your bike been properly jetted?

Have you checked the valve lash?? real easy to do

Have you done a search on the cannister falling off?? I've seen a couple threads address it in the past. You'll need a vacuum plug to replace the tube going to the side of the carb. Available at any auto parts store, usually a six pack of them cost less than $3.00

One thing I have to ask. are you pulling the Black choke knob till it clicks & not the red Hot Start knob. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I've read about a couple people who've done that because they've never had a carb with both knobs before.

Yes, I have made sure it is the black button and not the red button, it is not a bad question though because just reaching by the carb it is tough to make sure you have the right one.

Everytime I see a post that says lose the emissions stuff or remove the stuff from the te's that the tc's don't have, I am lost. What exactly is being removed, thanks

Yes, I have made sure it is the black button and not the red button, it is not a bad question though because just reaching by the carb it is tough to make sure you have the right one.

Everytime I see a post that says lose the emissions stuff or remove the stuff from the te's that the tc's don't have, I am lost. What exactly is being removed, thanks

I tried doing a search for you but am coming up empty at the moment, on the right side of the bike, on the downtube, do you have an ugly black cannister hanging off? if not it may have already been done for you:excuseme:

Do you leave the fuel on when you leave it standing?

I had the same issue and was told by the UK importer to make sure the fuel was turned off. I don't know why but it worked for me. Never had a problem afterwards.

I have used the 3 twist and choke the last few days and it has worked everytime, thanks for the help.

I saw the video for removing the throttle stop, what exactly does this help, I have never noticed not being able to twist the throttle enough? Does it allow the gas to enter faster or is it just like the throttle screw in my kids bike to keep them from going to fast?

Thanks

You got it here "just like the throttle screw in my kids bike to keep them from going to fast"

Kind of sounds like your bike had the smog stuff as well as the throttle stop removed already. You would deffinitely notice the throttle stop since it only allows maybe a 1/16 or 1/8 turn of the throttle rather than the normal 1/4 turn.

I agree with the last post. The throttle stop only allowed the throttle to crack. It was the first thing I noticed when I sat on mine at the dealer. I'm quite certain that your problem has been the cranking procedure. I had the same trouble with mine the first week or so until I found the section in the owner's manual on starting procedure. It says, 1.) fuel on 2.) choke on full 3.) 2 complete twists of the throttle. I do this everytime I crank my 450 after it's been sitting for a while & it has never failed to crank. Give it more gas though & it's a done deal for 5 or 10 minutes. When warm, no choke, minute amount of throttle & she's going again.

As others have noted full choke and three s-l-o-w throttle twists before starting. The slow twist allows the accelerator pump to complete its stroke. After starting use the hot start knob as a pseudo throttle before turning the choke off.

She'll start first one over everytime with an iridium CR8EIX plug. 👍