Sign in to follow this  

old enduro riders

I am 42 years old and pretty new to dirt biking. I just finished my third enduro last weekend. What intrigues me is how fast some of the old guys are. In one race the super senior 50+ c class top 3 riders had better scores than both the vet 30+ and senior40+ c class winners. Even in the A ranks there are some seriously fast old guys. Is this just a local phenomenon or do you guys see similar results throughout the country?

I guess this gives me hope that I have a lot of good riding years with lots of room for improvement.

I

I am 42 years old and pretty new to dirt biking. I just finished my third enduro last weekend. What intrigues me is how fast some of the old guys are. In one race the super senior 50+ c class top 3 riders had better scores than both the vet 30+ and senior40+ c class winners. Even in the A ranks there are some seriously fast old guys. Is this just a local phenomenon or do you guys see similar results throughout the country?

I guess this gives me hope that I have a lot of good riding years with lots of room for improvement.

I

Well, c class doesn't really count because it is often chock full of sandbaggers, but yeah, there are plenty of smokin' fast 40-50 yr olds. I'm a mid-pack A racer and i got my butt kicked by a 60+ year old guy at last year's 49-er enduro.

yeah you pipsqueak! :D all that just goes to show how much of the sport is skill and technique and endurance/conditioning, and you eventually figure out how to conserve energy and be efficient. There's a lot of guys on old bikes that spank guys on shiny new bikes too.

happy trails! :)

i'm 46 and do enduros and hare scrambles as a c rider.i've ridden for years but never focused one one class or one series nor do i race more than 8-10 events a year.money and needing to show up monday have held me back from trying to pursue a b plate and hell, i'm not very fast anyway. if your having fun and finishing every time the trophies will come.trail riding is cheaper but not everyone is riding in the same direction which is another reason to race.

I am 61 years young and ride 2-3 dual sport rides every year for the past 5 years. I rode the Reno 200 the young old guy to finish was 70.

I will be happy to finish my riding career at 65. I will finish when I can't pick the bike up any more. I have been riding the street for 40 years. Got tired about 8 years ago and went to the Dual Sport Kingdom. Old guys rule this world.

Gray Beard

My grandparents hung up riding when they were 73, they rode a trail 90 and a cute tiny honda in the AZ desert.

So GreyBeard, if my grandma can twist the throttle at 73, you sure can!!!!

http://www.racerxill.com/articles/detail/1231/10th-annual-leroy-winters-memorial-isdt-reunion-ride.aspx

http://speedy_c.tripod.com/2001-2002/2001-2002.html

http://speedy_c.tripod.com/

Helmut Clasen is an inspiration and my hero. Take a look at these sites and see if you can see any of my photos in there also. Helmut is now 73 and still awsume to watch. When out on a track he is 22years old. Banging handlebars.

Dwight

• Like 1

Hey, who's this guy??:D:)

dwightrudder.jpg

Dwightlater.jpg

Dwight, you've been the topic of discussion in my thread over on advrider (Dirt Bike History 101). Probably didn't know you were famous did you? :worthy:

Since I've been riding in the ECEA enduros it's been my experience that those old fast guys were once young fast guys, just not fast enduro guys usually fast MX guys.

Bruce

Hey, who's this guy??:D:)

dwightrudder.jpg

Dwightlater.jpg

Dwight, you've been the topic of discussion in my thread over on advrider (Dirt Bike History 101). Probably didn't know you were famous did you? :worthy:

Damn, Who is that good looking guy ? Such style ! Such Grace ! :banghead:

Dwight :ride:

that's definitely some great inspiration. i catch myself wishing i would've started seriously riding alot earlier in my life. now i'm going on 32 and trying to get my stuff together to try and get into some enduro races and hare scrambles. hopefully next season i'll be able to afford a more competitive bike and be ready to give it a go :)

Also an ECEA enduro rider here and about to enter the BSSR class were I can't currently touch the scores those guys are pulling - in fact we have lots of masters (60+) and even a few golden masters (70+) running the seres - one guy not only runs all the enduros but also races all the hare scrambles! He's an incredible inspiration - every time I think about dropping out of an enduro I think about the guys 25 yrs older than me and *not* going to hour out. Heps me get to the finish.

-d

OLD and WISE! Not only do we know how to sandbag, we are actually faster than you. Don't blink...now your old too!

My dad rides bikes 35 years mostly street bikes. Last 15 years he had 3 dirt bikes and also street bikes. I was too young when he had them to understand what is fast and good riding. Well last year we visited enduro race and he borowed a bike from his friend to just try. He is 50yo and he is heavyweight. Race started and we didn't expect anything great because he wasn't riding dirt bikes 4 years, but than he sudenly showed himself fighting for 1st and 2nd place with some very young guys that had alot faster bikes. When i saw that i was very proud and all were watching and saying *** guy on some old 250 2 stroke riping guys in front. He propably got tired somewhere in woods because he isn't in shape at all but he finished 5th. I don't know a classes in USA but he was 5th in semi pro class which for his ages, shape, bike is like he won national championship. If he would lost some weight, get back in shape, got himself a better bike i bet he would beat some young asses. Also his brother is 55yo, they raced one agaist the other on local track and they were fast as hell, like you are watching a pro race. I am really suprised how my old man can ride, many of my young friends are slow and scared of bikes and ride poor. I'm fast for them and can ride with no problem with older riders but i'm not even near the level my dad and uncle rides. I ride just 1.5 year so i have much time to get better 👍

I just turned 41, am I old? I find a lot of the young guys are either stupid fast, or in really poor shape. I think when you get older, you exercise more and build a good base (which takes years to do). I might not be stupid fast, but I can ride all day and know how to conserve energy.

My dad is 63 and still tares it up. In fact he started getting into it when he was 58!

Most of the seasoned riders you see doing very well at the MN off-road races have been FAST for a long time! 👍

Man are they smooth riders when they blow past me! :worthy: