Sign in to follow this  

Bike got wet.

This is probably the most embarrassing post I will ever write and will lose all of my dignity because of it. I was riding today near a pond and the grass was wet in a low spot that had a small puddle which I had no idea was there. Long story short the bike slid out and into the small pond that was next to me. It was probably knee high water for about 30 seconds to a minute. Rag on me all you want but I just want to know if it is completely ruined or has a chance to be rebuilt. I did not try and start it and was wondering if I should take the oils and fluids out asap? Thank you all for your help. After an experience like this I don't know if I want to get another bike cause I feel like ****.

Put the bike upside down, remove the plug and kick the bike over. Make the plug dry, clean carb, maybe empty the tank and fill it with new gas, start it over just for a minute, change oils.

I never had do deal with it, because im good. But that's how I would do.

Oh, by the way, you suck! :)

Not a big deal... Just make sure you get all of the water out... Drain out your gas. Take off your airfilter, if water didn't get past it, just service the filter. If water got past it, remove the sub frame and powerwash it out to get it all nice and clean. Spray carb clean down in and through the carb then follow with compressed air to get it all clean.

Then comes the oils, go pick up yourself a bunch of cheap 10w40 automotive oil. Drain out your oils, fill with the cheap stuff... Run the bike for a couple of mins, drain it out. Keep doing this until the oil comes out clean with no water/milkyness. Then fill with some good oil (ie. Rotella T 15w40).

With your intake system clean and a fresh filter, the engine cleaned out of all water by changing the oil, you should be set to ride again. -- If water got in your exhaust pipe you probably will want to remove it, dry it out and re pack the silencer.

----- Don't worry about it, these things just "happen" -- You'll be riding again soon enough.

I did the same thing on my YZ125. Bike fell in a 3 foot deep creek. Idrained the oil,gas,cleaned the carb and changed the plug and the bike started rite up.

Thanks guys, thats reassuring to know she has a chance. It just bugs the hell out of me cause I'm not a stupid rider or inexperienced but oh well I guess it was just my time (first spill). Thanks again you guys are great!

Not a big deal... Just make sure you get all of the water out... Drain out your gas. Take off your airfilter, if water didn't get past it, just service the filter. If water got past it, remove the sub frame and powerwash it out to get it all nice and clean. Spray carb clean down in and through the carb then follow with compressed air to get it all clean.

Then comes the oils, go pick up yourself a bunch of cheap 10w40 automotive oil. Drain out your oils, fill with the cheap stuff... Run the bike for a couple of mins, drain it out. Keep doing this until the oil comes out clean with no water/milkyness. Then fill with some good oil (ie. Rotella T 15w40).

With your intake system clean and a fresh filter, the engine cleaned out of all water by changing the oil, you should be set to ride again. -- If water got in your exhaust pipe you probably will want to remove it, dry it out and re pack the silencer.

----- Don't worry about it, these things just "happen" -- You'll be riding again soon enough.

+1 my buddy lost his 450 under 5' of water for a few min.....we did all that and the bike ran perfect:ride:

ahh stuff like that happens, you didn't know how deep it was, stop beating yourself up for it. :) i think everyone has done something stupid to their bike at one point or another. i drove my CRF100 off a 90 foot cliff in a gravel pit cause i forgot that i couldn't go down that hill. I also sunk the whole front end in mud up to the bars when i tried jumping over a tractor rut that was 3 feet deep and full of really soft mud. shit happen and when it does, you just have to fix your bike and learn from it. this would be an interesting thread idea... "stupidest thing you have done to your bike"

At least you were smart enough not to try and run it.:)

Make sure you get non-energy conserving auto oil or you may end up with a slipping clutch.

I drained all the oils and have been flushing it out. Cleaned out the carb and airbox and all that good stuff you guys said to do, subframe off etc. so Im going to drain it again in the morning and then get it all back together to give it a try. Thanks for the help once again and I guess I am glad I am not the only one who has done it lol. I actually like that idea for a topic for a thread , haha we can start with me! :)

I don't think you want to turn a 4-stroke upside down. You have been watching to many moto movies from the 90's.