Sign in to follow this  

Crank Question

Ok guys. Hopefully somebody can help me with this. I called my local Honda dealer this morning asked a price of a Rod kit for my 450. He told me that it does not come as a kit but as a crank assembly. Almost 4bills. ***, is this right. No splitting the crank and installing a new bearing and rod. Any ideas.

I'm trying to check with LA sleeve and see if they have any info.

Thanks for any replies.:)

Just called LA sleeve. They answered everything for me. If you buy through a Honda dealer. You buy as a complete assembly, so I'm told. LA sleeve will sell a kit, which I'm going to buy and have them to the labor.

The cranks are pressed together with the rods. You can buy aftermarket rods and rebuild your OEM crank. You need special tools to do this, a huge press and balancing equipment. (you need to send it out to get done)

A new OEM crank is usually the best route to go -- If you get a good discount the 250r cranks are $200, the 450s should be somewheres around the same.

I know here in Canada the labor cost to rebuild a crank -- Remove old rod, put on new rod and balance it is $110. Then you still have to buy a good connecting rod which will be a minimum of $100. The falicon rods are around $200... So getting a new OEM assembly may be more worth while...

Then you cannot forget about new crank bearings and seals.

Ask the dealer if it comes with a tube of AsstroGlide...

:)

The dealer is screwing you.

2006 and older 450R crank/rod assy run $ 198.41,

2007/2008 crank/rod assy run $ 218.00.

Must be Huntington Beach area only that screws their customers. I'm shopping eslewhere

Another dealer just called me on my Question. 340.00 for assembly. Wont sell as rod kit only.

From what I see from the local Honda dealers, they're really making the 450 customers grab thier ankles.

I picked this 450 up as a basket case. I think this might get more costly than I expected.

An OEM Crank/rod ass'y should run about $200-$250 from a Honda dealer...

I'm not doubting your numbers, but both dealers i called today were both over 300.00.

I will try my luck online, but for now bike is going in the corner untill I decide what to do with it. Thanks for the replies.

Do yourself a favor...

I usually get stuff from Service Honda. Great prices.

The entire parts database and pricing for all Hondas are available by doing this:

Click the Start button,

Click on programs,

Click on Accessories,

Click on Communications,

Click on Remote Desktop,

Enter 69.213.66.54 and click connect. Find your bike and you'll have access to all part#'s and diagrams and prices.

Click on the parts you need, create an invoice and Service Honda will ship to you.

If you want, you can get the TT store to price match and order all your stuff through them as well.

Good luck.

The best parts dealer in the SoCal area is Lebard and Underwood on Imperial hwy in La Habra. They usually have a good stock of parts and will give discounts if you ask real pretty like...

Yo Smith, are you an OC guy?

Ive been going into LeBard and Underwood since they sold BSA's :)

Do yourself a favor...

I usually get stuff from Service Honda. Great prices.

The entire parts database and pricing for all Hondas are available by doing this:

Click the Start button,

Click on programs,

Click on Accessories,

Click on Communications,

Click on Remote Desktop,

Enter 69.213.66.54 and click connect. Find your bike and you'll have access to all part#'s and diagrams and prices.

Click on the parts you need, create an invoice and Service Honda will ship to you.

If you want, you can get the TT store to price match and order all your stuff through them as well.

Good luck.

The best parts dealer in the SoCal area is Lebard and Underwood on Imperial hwy in La Habra. They usually have a good stock of parts and will give discounts if you ask real pretty like...

Or you can go to Motosport Outlet, get the part number and use it on Service Honda "Pricing" option. Mr Smith is right, I didn't find anybody cheaper for OEM parts.

Good luck.