xr500parts for xr600

Some will fit but a lot won't. I've got an '86 600 shock on my '84 XR500R, reservoir dia and hose length is a little different but they interchange. Swing arm on xr500 is steel and linkage is bushings while XR600 swingarm is alum with needles in the linkage, don't think it'll interchange. A lot of the motor is the same (stator, etc.).

mmm..Thats handy to know..How much difference in mm..I can sort of see it. If it's not to much just dig out the grinder/Flle and whip a bit of the non fitting bit...You can always throw a couple of shims in it if you revert to the original 600 shock...or maybe for the more responsible get the two of them disassembled and see if the 600 internal that is the problem will fit into the 500.I know how safety minded some are.

well here is a update. looks like i didn't waste that money after all.

i took my old shock down to the local shop to have the nitrogen refilled and after putting it back on my bike it still didn't absorb any shock. (ever ride like you were on a trampoline?) so i took it back off and looked hard at the 500 shock. and after some debate i figured out what was wrong. and i feel like a idoit. i realized that there was mud on the inside of the fork on the bottom and it was such a tight fit on to the lower mounting point that was keeping it from going on. so i cleaned what little mud i left on and a BFH (big ? hammer) later i had it on. it works better then my old shock but sounds like it has air in the system.

and this brings up another question. i got a pdf manual for my era xr600. and the shock it shows looks different then the shock i with the bike. the pictures shown in the manual is exactly like the 500r shock(red spring). so i wonder if the on i got with the bike is a after market one. any thoughts?