Sign in to follow this  

my dual sport conondrum is weighing me down

SO.... i had an 83 xt200 4 years ago and it worked pretty good. It felt light and agile in the woods, but was waaaayyy underpowered. So i stepped up to an 83 XT550. What a beast!! Plenty of power but damn this bike is heavy. According to specs posted online at bikez and some other website that seems to just copy bikez, the 550 weighs 320lbs wet. I believe it. Keep in mind that I weigh 135lbs and i aint all that muscular but I can move my 550 around. But damn it leaves me exhausted and really, the overall size of the bike is huge and not that great when the trees and rocks get close. My friend calls it a couch. So im searching and searching for something at 250cc and light and most importantly a dual sport. I like 80's bikes mostly but i can go up to early 90's. It can be a 2 valve engine, i dont mind. In fact, i assume 2 valve engines are lighter. What are some suggestions from Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda? What are the honest weights?

Two valve bikes aren't any lighter, In fact any bike that still has two valves is so old, it is very heavy.

Go with something like a 96-04 XR 250. It weighs in at 241 lbs and handles tights woods excellent!

I came from a KX125 and moved over to an XT550, and in comparison, the thing weighs a ton. I've gotten used to it now, and I can do stuff with it that I could only dream of doing with my KX. I'm not the tallest guy around (1.7m), but I manage to manhandle it around the farm as if it where a part of me. IMO it helps to be a muscular guy. Picking up an XT550 every time you take a fall can get really tiring after a while. I don't think I'll ever go back to a smaller bike, the torque of the 550 is just something I can't let go of. Another thing to consider is a 450, but they come with a high price tag and quite finicky with maintainance:ride:

I'm not a tall guy. I don't believe I'm a big guy, but I'm probably bigger than you are. I'm 5'8", 180 on the lean side and right now around 190. (working on leaning out again, my job and life are not cooperating :)) My biceps are just under 16" and I wear a size 34 pants, 32 or 33 jeans.

The fact that I'm just a little too short for the bike causes some problems. However, once I'm up on the pegs, everything is great.

I'm going to make a recommendation, but it's not as simple as buying a new bike. Invest the money in a home gym, it takes a long time to bulk up, but it doesn't take long to get strong. Spend two hours a week, any way you want (1/2 an hour four days, 1 hour two days, etc.) working in the home gym, you'll benefit from being stronger, healthier and you'll be able to man handle the XT. If you're dedicated to the work out, you should see significant improvements within two months. Oh, and I'd recommend a subscription to Muscle and Fitness, I think it's the best of the meat head mags.

HAAA!!! thats a very different kind of recommendation I wasnt expecting. If I could bulk up, that would be awesome. From scrawny to brawny.:)

I ride an 83 XL 600R so I know what ya mean about weight. It does take a toll after a while and if ya have to pick it up a few times in the woods it will wear you out. My friend has a 95 DR 350 that's a little taller than my XL and in stock form it's a bit of a dog but he put a jet kit and a pipe on it and it actually made it fun to ride. It's not as heavy as your 550 and has the potential for some decent power. Oh and he's looking into a 440 big bore kit that's supposed to make a huge difference. There's tons of DR 350s out there and you can usually pick up an older one for a decent price, $800 TO 1500 around here.

Drew,

Just go and get an XL250R or an XR250L and call it a day.

HAAA!!! thats a very different kind of recommendation I wasnt expecting. If I could bulk up, that would be awesome. From scrawny to brawny.:)
It can be done, it takes dedication more than strength. When I started working out again in my early 20s, my biggest gains were at the beginning. Then I was 5'8", 185lbs, 13" biceps, 38? inch pants. Prior to that was even worse, all I know was my heaviest weight was 225, the pizza and beer diet. I don't like to focus on weight, because that gives the wrong impression as demonstrated by my then vs. now numbers, my weight is relatively unchanged, but my body composition is very different.

But back to my original point, the fast gains are at the beginning, if you're willing to take a month and learn proper form with easy weights -- no gain in bulk, minimal gain in strength, then jump to nearly the heaviest weight you can handle three sets of 8 or so reps, you'll see some bulk-up gains within about six weeks (you'll need a measuring tape and keep a log, other wise you won't see anything).

I went from curling 12lb dumbbells to 37lb dumbbells in about four months when I started up again, my scrawny arms went from 13 to 14 really freakin' quick. 14 to 15 took a lot longer and 15 to 16 took years.

But looking for quick bulk, I'm advising against, at least right now. Stick with a strength plan (15-20 reps, 3-5 sets each, 1 minute break in between, fairly light weight), figure on being able to tell the difference in two months, if at that time you want to work on bulking up, have at it. You'll have built a decent amount of strength AND endurance, plus you should know good form from bad.

BTW, you can pick up a decent set of adjustable dumbbell/barbells for around $50 new, you may find some next-to-free deals on craigslist.

For retail equipment, I recommend Omni Fitness, Dunham's, Play-it-again sports, and there's another discount fitness supplier, but I don't remember the name.

Sprawl*Mart has stuff too, but you can often find equal or better deals from the discount fitness places and most of their employees know something about the equipment. There's always Dick's, Sports Authority and such.

AVOID: anything with the word "ab", "lounge", "total" in it, there is no quick fix. I may have mentioned this elsewhere. I work for FedEx, we ship thousands (I'm talking truck loads a day) of TotalGyms in Jan/Feb. If I bet everyone who bought one of those things the cost of the machine that by April they wouldn't be using it any more, I'd be rich. Sure, there are a few people who stick with them, and I'd bet for a piece of equipment that fits in a closet the total gym has benefits, but people give up on them for a reason. Some must have gotten strong enough to carry it out to the car and ship it back, most don't.

Good luck.

Drew,

Just go and get an XL250R or an XR250L and call it a day.

Doug, i USED to be in shape before riding motorcycles when i rode bmx and mountain bikes all the time. But since YOU got me into the twist of the throttle grip instead of the push of a pedal, ive gotten lazy:smirk:

now now don't go blaming me for the size of your muscles. I only introduced you to the world of cycles.

any luck on finding an xt250 yet?