Sign in to follow this  

Arm Pump?

I just got back into racing on my yz250f but I have had some major arm pump, enough after only 3 laps to not be able to grip the handlebars. Im a track athlete and I run alot so im in good shape endurance wise, I could stay out there for many more laps if I can just get this arm problem under control. Are there any workouts at the gym I can do during the week that will specifically work on getting rid of this arm pump?

I have the same problem

the cure is SEAT TIME but a big ball of clay (Playdoo) in each hand and need it for 15 min several times a day works

Lose the death-grip on the bars. :D

One exercise I used to do was to take a round bar, drill a hole in the center (side-to-side, not end-to-end :) )and tie a 5lb weight to it with about 3 feet of twine. Roll it up and down in both directions until your arms get tired. Rinse and repeat. Don't overdo it.

Glue some handgrips on the ends if you want.

In my opinion, it isn't how hard you hold on to the bars it is the duration.

Basically if you are holding on as hard as you can for say 2+ laps at some point no matter your fitness level you will cramp up.

Learn to hold onto the bars with varying levels of grip. And often you don't need to grip with equal strength with both hands. Often 1 or the other is doing most of the work.

What this allows is for your muscles to relax and rest and should prevent the cramping.

thanks for the advise guys, I never had any arm pump with my 85 but when I moved up to my 250 it got really bad and I think I have always griped with the same firmness on both bikes so could it be the extra weight I have to wrestle around with on the track now or mabey I do have the death grip with my 250 and didnt with my 85. Im going tomorrow so ill try and focus on loosening up my grip on the bars and see if that helps, and ill get some playdo and i im going to make one of them thingy-ma-hoos I know what your talking about we used them in football to help grip the ball .