Sign in to follow this  

Starting a CR500R

I posted this on another thread, but I figured I would make a new one if someone was searching for this.

I have a sure fire way to lite your CR500R. I have had an '88, '91, '95 and '97 CR500R and this works on all of them.

1. Lean bike over to the left 35 to 45 degrees with the throttle cracked till you see gas drip out of the carb.

2. put bike in gear and rock back and forth a few times.

3. put the kick lever down to the bottom inch or so and cycle (bottom inch only) until you hear the piston rattle.

4. bring kick lever back up to the top and go down with it slowly two clicks.

5. bring start lever back up to the top, and kick it hard (like your are trying to get your foot through the other side of the world), while having the throttle cracked a little.

6. If no start, repeat steps 3 - 5

My bike have always lit this way. remember, this is not a 125 or a 250 when you just kick kick kick till it starts.

Hope this helps.

If you have never had a CR500R before, once you ride it you will never want to be on another bike again. I hope one day I can afford a CR500AF

Be safe out there...

Jared

I rode a KX500 a few months ago, bike scared me, to much power. I've heard the KX was alot more mellow than the 500, Rapid power band would not be fun.

I have never been on a KX500, but I know the CR500 has more power from the factory. I have installed a few upgrades since factory...bigger carb, Moto Tassinari reed cage and carbon fiber reeds, pro circuit suspension, pro circuit silencer. I have yet to change the pipe from factory, I like the way it hits hard down low. My brother has a '97 CR500R and he has the Pro circuit pipe on it, seems to be more mid to top power. I like the power down low, where I can use it more. I can roll onto the power hard and fast in 4th gear and pull the front tire as high as I want without yanking on the bars.

I LOVE MY CR500R!

howzit sikryd... we have a small group of guys who ride 500's... we ride on sundays at mililani... we'll be at pearl city industrial at 8:30... good to see other people enjoying 500's!!!

I did a start vid over at CR500riders.com about this. Of course, when I did it I was healing from 5 busted ribs and collar bone (3 weeks into it). I still got it started on the first kick.

My method:

Gas on

Choke on

Give 'er 2-3 sissy kicks from TDC to prime the cylinder

Get it back on the compression stroke and give it a "good hard/fast boot" with the throttle closed>>>blamo! It will light off.

The key is....kick it like you mean it.....

I have heard of people using alternate methods such as the one above. If it works for you...roll with it.

As far as pipes are concerned.....use what you like and what suits your riding style. I do have to agree, I like the stocker also. It has a good power spread. But its fragile.

FMF is a low end grunt pipe

PC is a mid to top end pipe

Bone808...

I have been thinking of shipping my bikes over to Maui, as there are no places to ride here anymore. I never rode in Mililani, is it all tight trails? Kahuku is getting to be too crowded to be safe in my opinion, I see many many near accidents while up there. My brother and I may just decide to come up to Mililani one day and join you.

mililani is alright: tight trails, hill climbs, mud, hardly anyone around, and yes you are right hardly anymore places to ride here... either its state or private... one day come on up and lets RIDE!!! cant miss us we all got AF's...