O-Ring or X-Ring Chain?

Take the chain seals, cut them and look at the cross section. One is round, one looks like an X. Both seal the chain, but one seals with one contact point and one with two.

So, the X ring is not only supposed to hold in the factory injected lube better, it's support to have a bit less drag (increased HP). Can you feel the power diff? Carmichael might, I can't...

irispic.jpg

Chain sealing ring construction is a moot point without comparing chain tensile strength. Tensile strength is the resistance to stretching.

Chains go to hell when they "stretch", and the sprockets start to "hook" the teeth.

I choose my chains based on the tensile strength, then get whatever sealed chain is available in that tensile strength.

You can have the best sealing system known to man, but if the chain is constructed of swiss cheese, it won't matter.

Chains don't stretch by way of material yielding. If they did, you would have chain failure by way of brakage within 10-20 hrs

Chains get longer because the pins and bushes' wear with use.

Most MX riders don't use sealed chains. A non sealed chain robs less power and is better suited to Aluminum sprokets as they wear at about the same rate.

Enduro and recreational riders tend to use sealed chains as teh extra power lost is irralivant and these chains are better suited to steel sprokets again to match wear rates.

The difference between X and O ring chains is well explained above.

If a material yeilds, thats plastic deformation, meaning the material doesn't return to it's original shape. The bushings and pins wear away by friciton and causes slop and loosness in the chain, which makes the chain longer.

I've disassembled a few chains to shorten them, and seen that the side plates have a slight deformation in the pin holes where it has started to mushroom out.

Either way, a higher tensile strength chain will resist stretch, wear, deformation, or as most refer to it "being circular filed" more than a lower tensile strength chain.