Anyone cited for no smog gear?

I have heard vague reports of people being cited for not having proper smog equipment on their bikes when riding on public land. Is this just an urban legend, or does anyone know of this actually ocurring? I have removed my smog crap, and just want to be prepared.

They are checking (sporadically) at Carnagie. I showed up to ride one day with the smog pump removed and was advised at the gate if they caught me riding anywhere but the track I would be cited. Needless to say the smog pump went back on. Not worth the ticket!

"technically" any modification done to your bike makes it non-compliant. Some laws have been overlooked for many years for a number of reasons. Generally, it's up to the LEO's discresion weather to persue certain violations.

This is just a result of the sport getting more and more popular (a good thing, right?), which means more impact on the environment, which, unforetuneately (or fortunately - depending on perspective) leads to more regulations, or more enforcement of current regulations.

50 years ago, cars didn't have smog pumps or cataletic converters, but no one complains about those being on their modern cars. It's all about progess and changing with the times.

Purposely breaking the law to avoid this is not the way to go. ? I speak from personal experience, LEO's have a pretty damn good BS detector, and when they see you drive up in your CA plated pick-up with OR or NV plated bikes in the back, they'll be asking some questions. Not smart.

"technically" any modification done to your bike makes it non-compliant. Some laws have been overlooked for many years for a number of reasons. Generally, it's up to the LEO's discresion weather to persue certain violations.

This is just a result of the sport getting more and more popular (a good thing, right?), which means more impact on the environment, which, unforetuneately (or fortunately - depending on perspective) leads to more regulations, or more enforcement of current regulations.

50 years ago, cars didn't have smog pumps or cataletic converters, but no one complains about those being on their modern cars. It's all about progess and changing with the times.

Purposely breaking the law to avoid this is not the way to go. :banghead: I speak from personal experience, LEO's have a pretty damn good BS detector, and when they see you drive up in your CA plated pick-up with OR or NV plated bikes in the back, they'll be asking some questions. Not smart.

I used to register my boat in AZ, but had my trailer registered in Ca. Untill I got a ticket :banghead: The LEO told ask why? and I stated it was cheaper he than told me that it was actually cheaper to reg in CA. :banghead: He was right :banghead: That was 12 years ago! ? I will be keeping my smog equiptment on! :D Not worth the hasle and Thanks to Jeff in Norco, I now have a Nice fairly new muffler! :worthy: Thank you again Jeff and call me when your up in Big Bear! :ride:

I'll worry about it when/if I cited. If smog inspections for motorcycles are required, my XR650 will be registered in Oregon
And you can bet that if the ranger at Carnegie sees the bike he will tell you to keep the bike in the back of your truck..........

I dunno whats gonna happen in the future. My 07 250X has the smog pump blocked - but everythings physically still there for Ranger Rick to see.

These days I'm riding an 01 KTM 300 2 smoke - which is green sticker, and my buddy's 06 300 is a red sticker - and it prolly pollutes less than mine. Thing is, I can understand that yes, there is a pollution problem, and yes, the line in the sand was drawn between 02 and 03, but all the dirtbikes in the US put out a miniscule amount of smog compared to say lawnmowers......

Hard to imagine that streetbikes (maybe even dirtbikes) will have state mandated inspections and smog checks but nothing would surprise me these days.

I reinstalled smog on my 250X because a Hollister volunteer ranger who is a friend told me the gate has turned away bikes for no smog. I could not take a chance because I camp with kids in tow. It was super easy to reinstall so just do it if you are going someplace that has tight controls. Dig that smog crap up and save it at the least.

I dunno whats gonna happen in the future. My 07 250X has the smog pump blocked - but everythings physically still there for Ranger Rick to see.

These days I'm riding an 01 KTM 300 2 smoke - which is green sticker, and my buddy's 06 300 is a red sticker - and it prolly pollutes less than mine. Thing is, I can understand that yes, there is a pollution problem, and yes, the line in the sand was drawn between 02 and 03, but all the dirtbikes in the US put out a miniscule amount of smog compared to say lawnmowers......

Bingo!!!

If the OHV community is complacent on this issue, whats next? Aftermarket fuel screws? pipes? airbox mods? (all "illegal" BTW). Then its going to be like the auto industry where aftermarket companies have to get their stuff CARB compliant in order to be legal to sell for on-highway vehicles. Not only is that not a good thing for the moto industry, but the cert process lines the pockets of CARB with money they can do without IMO.

If we lay down and accept things "as is" the lawmakers and regulatory agencies are going to be under the impression that they can pass/enforce more laws without any resistance from the community.

I've said this before but its worth repeating. OHVs are pimple on the ass that is pollution. They're not that big a deal. The greens are trying to make this something its not:prof:

I haven't removed my smog pump yet, so how much performance does removing one buy you? Does removing it get 10 more MPH or does it just decrease that popping noise? If all I am really gonna get is less popping I will leave mine on just to prevent any Ranger Rick from being apart of my day.

Hard to imagine that streetbikes (maybe even dirtbikes) will have state mandated inspections and smog checks but nothing would surprise me these days.

California is working on the lawn mowers:

"A gasoline-powered lawnmower run for an hour puts out about the same amount of smog-forming emissions as 40 new automobiles run for an hour"

California is working on the lawn mowers:

"A gasoline-powered lawnmower run for an hour puts out about the same amount of smog-forming emissions as 40 new automobiles run for an hour"

I walk behind one of those things about 5 hrs a day. ? Had no idea! Makes it hard to breath just thinkin bout it. Then theres all the dust from work and dirtbikes.

50 years ago, cars didn't have smog pumps or cataletic converters, but no one complains about those being on their modern cars. It's all about progess and changing with the times. .

If people realized how much this equipment adds to the cost of a vehicle, or ever had to replace a cataletic converter, then you hear complaints.

If people realized how much this equipment adds to the cost of a vehicle, or ever had to replace a cataletic converter, then you hear complaints.

Yup! You bet. I think the cheapest cat I've seen is $80. Thats a fraction of what an AIS for one of these bikes is.

The complete AIS system for my WR 450f is roughly $250. IIRC emissions equipment on off highway vehicles have a warrenty of 3 years. If we're ever responsible to smog these things in order to get our green stickers and that piece of shit breaks after the mfg emissions warrenty is up then that means I've got to dish out the dough to pay for a new one (or move out of state ?) . All these dudes blocking theirs off with JB weld are in the same boat.

Lookie here. If I'm ever in the position to replace the AIS on my bike I guess I can just send the bill to this guy since he seems ok with it.

Anybody naive enough to believe that adding emissions equipment to dirbikes is a good thing needs to get real. There are bigger fish to fry...

Lookie here. If I'm ever in the position to replace the AIS on my bike I guess I can just send the bill to this guy since he seems ok with it.

Anybody naive enough to believe that adding emissions equipment to dirbikes is a good thing needs to get real. There are bigger fish to fry...

Yep! The only thing a smog pump does is try to fool the sniffer into thinking it is actually putting out less dirty air (or hydrocarbons) :worthy: By pumping fresh air into the exhaust! :ride: The motor is still putting out the same, just with more fresh air mixed with it :banghead: Sucks Dont it! :D or blows however you want to look at it! ?

• Like 1