Sign in to follow this  

Xr 650 Carb Blues

The Price Of Gas Has Caused Me To Dual Sport My Xr650. I Have A Hop Up Kit With All The Right Jetting And Run An Fmf Silencer. It Ran Great In The Desert For Years. On The Street It Seems To Pop On Deacceleration And Sometimes At High Idle. The Idle Also Seems To Rev By Itself. I Have Taken The Carb Apart Checked The Float And Cleaned It Twice Now. What Could Be The Problem ???? Help !

Are you in the same climate/elevation? You say it ran great in the desert, but your post is in Deleware. Altitude, humidity, temerature all will play in to jetting. It sounds like it is probably running lean. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere where the exhaust meets the head or connects together. Also check for leaks around the intake/carb and the air boot/carb. Try turning the air mixture screw out a half turn to one turn and see if that cleans it up. If so then your main is lean.

Check your cables they sometimes make them hang on the idle,and is it colder than when you last rode?

Are you in the same climate/elevation? You say it ran great in the desert, but your post is in Deleware. Altitude, humidity, temerature all will play in to jetting. It sounds like it is probably running lean. Make sure there are no leaks anywhere where the exhaust meets the head or connects together. Also check for leaks around the intake/carb and the air boot/carb. Try turning the air mixture screw out a half turn to one turn and see if that cleans it up. If so then your main is lean.

I landed at a similar place........lean pop.........change plug might also help...can't remember if it should be a bit hotter or cooler.......

Has there ever been a BRP plug chart posted???

I'd love to see how different plugs might run in the XRR's.......