Sign in to follow this  

Noob dr650 rear susp lowering questions

To make a long story short, i took the msf safety class, got my license and today got my first bike, a used DR650 :)

The bike has a lower seat, and a lower kickstand (the homebrew kind, not the one from Suzi), and right now i can tiptoe on both sides, which is ok except it makes it hard for me to back the bike up on concrete, and damn near impossible in the grass. I only weigh about 130.

The previous owner said i could use a tool out of the tool kit, and lower the rear suspension by moving a bolt. I searched the board, and read that you're supposed to change the front suspension also.

If i only lower the rear, am i gonna suffer negative consequences? I'm riding real easy for now, and the bike has street tires anyway.

Do i need to get someone to hold the bike up while i move the bolt? All i have is the kickstand atm.

:Yea your going to need a stand or a lift that bike is pretty heavy for a stand and most dirt bike stands may be at thier max rating. Sounds like is is already lowered. They may have just adjusted the spring and not move the bolt like your supposed to. The bolt is on the bottom of the rear shock, you move the mount to the hole on the top to lower it. I lowered mine without changing the front and didn't really notice adiffernce. It should be fine for just crusing the streets. If you have the suzuki black gel seat that drops like 1 inch also.

what size rim is up front is it stock 21 or 17. didn't know you could get street tires for 21.

its got the stock 21 inch on the front. also, the tires are tubeless.

the bolt is currently in the lowest position. i see where it can move to the top hole, but there's this little v shaped plate with a tiny hole in it blocking it on one side.

um, i guess i gotta remove the shock to move the bolt?

i got a lot to learn :)

I did mine with the shock in the bike. The tab blocking the hole can be bent out to the side and then bent back down after you move the bolt. Your going to need a shock wrench too for the spring retaining nuts.(or you can use a long flat screw driver if you don't mind sratching them and it will take longer.) You will need the back swing arm off the ground with no tension on it. man i have the manual on pdf. I can't remember where i found it, but someone had a like for it here on tt if you can dig for it that would explain everything for you.

Check the Wiki and download the factory manual, there you will find detailed instructions and pictures.

also, the tires are tubeless.

They might be tubeless capable with the right rim, but you will definitely have tubes in them. So you better stock up with a tube repair kit!

i have a 2004 dr 650 converted to supermoto. i have already lowered the forks as the manual says to, that with the 17" front wheel has the front end pretty low. the shock is in the lowered position also. but it still needs to come down about 2 inches in the rear to level the bike out. i am working with a guy to make some links for the dr 650 to lower the rear like those made for most other bikes. i get to be the crash test dummy to see how they work. as soon as we get the measurements correct i think he will add them to his product line. he already makes them for a bunch of other bikes but didn't realize their may be a market for the dr 650 links.a>IMG_2264-1.jpg

sweet i didnt know there was a wiki thanks :D

i've been out riding all afternoon and night and really enjoy the bike.

honestly with the lower seat (its got a corbin) i dont have any problems riding on the street. its just hard for me to back it up cause i'm on my tip toes and i'm a lightweight. i'm a complete noob, this is my first bike. YMMV.

i'm really enjoying the handling, lower center of gravity, and upright rider position.

*one day* i wanna do the TAT so i gotta get schooled on maintenance, changing tires, patching the tubes, everything. i dont know crap, but i am so freaking happy to learn from folks that do know :worthy:

thanks for your input ahhh i'm so happy to finally be able to post now :)

Is that front end stock, if so where did the rim come from and what size tires are those I would love to do just what you have there but don't want to have to change out the whole front end assymbly (sp)

the front forks in that photo are stock. after that i put the progressive suspension springs in it and swapped the spacer on the damping rod. that lowered the front end 1-2 more inches. the front wheel is a excel 17" supermoto rim laced to a stock dr 650 hub by eastcoastwheels.com they had the supermoto wheel set in stock with the stock dr650 hubs for $1084 shipped.

i love the bike and don't understand why suzuki or someone doesn't import a 650 supermoto style bike like they sell everywhere else. it handles like a 2 wheeled go-cart. it is fast enough (90+ mph) has enough horsepower (45+ now) to do damned near anything you want to do. everybody doesn't want a ktm or some other high dollar euro bike. i know i got rid of my 520exc and am much happier.

i have been fortunate enough to be able to buy a couple of bikes and sell them on ebay to find something i like, but most people don't have time to screw with this and just want something to ride. please tell japan to wake up and send us something bigger than a damned $6000 250 or an underpowered 400.

i really liked the mz 660 bike but most parts are not available in the us. kind of hard to service the damned things.

IMG_1455.jpg[/img]IMG_1934.jpgIMG_2211.jpgIMG_1561.jpg