Sign in to follow this  

My burgeoning Thumpette

Well ladies I am seeking advice on riding gear for my wife.

She had her first mini lesson on my friend's TTR125le, which he picked up to for his family to learn on. unfortunately for him none of them seem to have the adventure gene.

My friend gave the lesson as I am not the best at teaching my wife how to do things. Unfortunately she is having issues with when to engage the clutch and how much throttle to give it once she gets it creeping forward.

Soooo, after she skinned up one knee and did a burnout on my friend's foot she was undaunted.

Class was on Saturday and last night she asked when we were going to borrow the TTR for her to learn on.

After the first skinned knee I figured it would be time to start looking for some basic gear (boots, riding pants, riding shirt, chest protection) she will be using my old helmet if we can locate the cheek pieces as our heads are the same size. But there is NO way she can use my old chest protector...

So what would you ladies recommend for a beginner.

Gah... this is going to get expensive...

Honestly, pick a color. is she girly? anti girly? like flowers? stars? hearts? the possibilities are endless. my personal favorite is Thor, and the girls Phase line is well priced and looks great IMO. look at the girls gear on motosport.

She sounds like a real trooper....most girls would be cryin' after they lost a little skin. :)

Boots

Helmet (sounds like you might have that covered)

Goggles

Pads (knee, elbow)

Gloves

Pants

Jersey

Chest Protector

The chest protector isn't THAT important if she's just putting around the yard or whatever. But eventually she's going to need one to protect from branches, roost..etc.

I wear everything above in addition to a neck brack attached to my CP.

I think the most important things on the list are, helmet, pads and boots and should be bought first if everything can't be afforded at once. Also, as far as gear... you can find great deals on womens gear right now. All the 08 stuff is going on clearance. In my opinion, my favorite womens gear is MSR, then thor. Thor gear is very comfy... MSR is comfy and hold up very well. There's lots to choose from. Have fun!

Honestly, pick a color. is she girly? anti girly? like flowers? stars? hearts? the possibilities are endless. my personal favorite is Thor, and the girls Phase line is well priced and looks great IMO. look at the girls gear on motosport.

She sounds like a real trooper....most girls would be cryin' after they lost a little skin. :)

Hum... I know she would kill me if I came home with Pink riding gear for her.

What have you all found fitment wise on the MSR and Thor Lines of gear? Does it run small? my other problem is that she is only 5'2" so finding things may be tricky on that front.

I was kind of proud of her for keeping on with the first lesson after she dumped the bike. She has always been a bit scared of my bike (wr450F) due mostly to the size differential. The TTR seems to be pretty well sized for her.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of bike to get her if she likes the dirt bike stuff after a few rides on the TTR.

Soooo, after she skinned up one knee and did a burnout on my friend's foot she was undaunted.
Hum... I know she would kill me if I came home with Pink riding gear for her.

She sounds like my kind of person!:D And you sound like a proud husband!:)

Hope she keeps up with it, and with that much enthusiasm, she probably will.

x2 on good boots that fit properly...trust me, even for low speeds.

For gear you really can't beat DennisKirk for Thor closeouts. Her height won't be an issue in the ladies gear and I got a full set of last seasons gear for $35...pants, jersey, gloves.

knee and shin guards are a must. I can't even look at my bike without gouging my shins.

If I had to do it over again, I would wait to get good boots instead of the cheapies I started with. I got injuries due to the $100 O'Neals. Plus I had to replace them because they were falling apart in a year anyway. I think I would have been better off with hiking boots and knee/shin guards until I could afford proper boots. Now my tech 8's rule! This is the 3rd season and they show little signs of wear, and I am pretty hard on the equipment.

I think it's really helpful for beginner's to have all the protective stuff--mx boots, knee and elbow gaurds, chest protector, helmet, gloves, goggles. The first time they go down and see how that stuff protects, it will take away the heebie jeebies about getting hurt if they fall. Like Cori said you can find cheap deals on pants, jersey, gloves (or anything) on clearance last year stuff.

I started out with hiking boots as well, but they dont' really do anything for ankles, and I've seen some pretty bad smashed toes(plus accompanying sprained ankles) on hiking boot wearers. It will be awkward to shift, brake at first, but that goes away really quick. I was the poor stepchild in getting all that stuff because in the beginning I was "just" the "wifey tagging along/small child sweeper"--but getting that stuff did wonders for my confidence:D

Have fun!

and beware, you might create a monster!!!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676606

Check this thread for all the girls gear manufacturers. I was hoping to get a bit more input from folks on quality, fit, etc. but didn't get much in the way of replies. Well, at least there are links to all the companies so you can check out sizing charts, etc. And agree... Motosport Outlet and Dennis Kirk both have quite a bit on clearance right now.

For boots, I'd be at the store trying them on. At 5'2", she probably has a small enough foot for some of the better kid's boots. The women's boots are also shorter. If she has small calves your boot choices will be just about limitless. But try to find one that fits in the heel. I have never found a pair that fits my calf AND holds my heels secure. Men's heels are different, so that is wear women-specific boots can be good (but thus far, women's boots get low marks for quality). Unfortunately, Cori can tell you about the results of bad boot fit! :)

Check this thread for all the girls gear manufacturers. I was hoping to get a bit more input from folks on quality, fit, etc. but didn't get much in the way of replies. Well, at least there are links to all the companies so you can check out sizing charts, etc. And agree... Motosport Outlet and Dennis Kirk both have quite a bit on clearance right now.

For boots, I'd be at the store trying them on. At 5'2", she probably has a small enough foot for some of the better kid's boots. The women's boots are also shorter. If she has small calves your boot choices will be just about limitless. But try to find one that fits in the heel. I have never found a pair that fits my calf AND holds my heels secure. Men's heels are different, so that is wear women-specific boots can be good (but thus far, women's boots get low marks for quality). Unfortunately, Cori can tell you about the results of bad boot fit! :D

actually, alpinestars makes the girls stella boots. theyre right up there with tech 8s, from what i hear....

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/product/ALPINESTARS-WOMENS-STELLA-TECH6-BOOTS/?catalogId=100193&refine=1&catID=1079&pcatID=171&catName=Boots&srchHistoryURL=n4uupe1h||parentCategoryID~1^superParentCategoryID~category_root^parentCategoryName~Dirt^categoryID~173^categoryName~Riding%20Gear^subCategoryName~Boots^subCategoryID~171@w27p0jt0||refineType~1^sub_attr_name~Brand^refineValue~Alpinestars@7fb4eioz||parentCategoryID~171^categoryID~1079^categoryName~Boots

they seem to be pretty nice but i just cant justify spending close to $300 on boots. i can buying tech 3s for almost half the price. :)

For boots, I'd be at the store trying them on. At 5'2", she probably has a small enough foot for some of the better kid's boots.

I second this - I'm only 5'1" and instead of going for the women's specific boot, I bought some boy's Thor boots. Better quality and cheaper, too! Same for gloves (I have small hands too) - I love my Fox Kid's DirtPaws.

I would buy women's specific jersies and pants though. They're cut more comfortably.

Well ladies I am seeking advice on riding gear for my wife.

She had her first mini lesson on my friend's TTR125le, which he picked up to for his family to learn on. unfortunately for him none of them seem to have the adventure gene.

My friend gave the lesson as I am not the best at teaching my wife how to do things. Unfortunately she is having issues with when to engage the clutch and how much throttle to give it once she gets it creeping forward.

Class was on Saturday and last night she asked when we were going to borrow the TTR for her to learn on.

After the first skinned knee I figured it would be time to start looking for some basic gear (boots, riding pants, riding shirt, chest protection) she will be using my old helmet if we can locate the cheek pieces as our heads are the same size. But there is NO way she can use my old chest protector...

So what would you ladies recommend for a beginner.

Gah... this is going to get expensive...

This is the perfect time for "closeout gear" at the 09 stuff starts showing up, they start lowering the prices on all left over 08 stuff. In about a month, it will get really sweet as far as the deals go.

I'm 5' 3" and I wear youth Thor boots and for gear I wear MSR Starlet Gear. Small jersey, medium chest protector and size 8 pants. If she doesn't like pink, Fox has super-cute gear in turquoise and brown. MSR stuff comes in blue/brown and black/blue. The Gem collection has camo stuff. motorcyclesuperstore.com is a great place for gear and they have a lot of suff on sale right now. Hope she has fun!