Sign in to follow this  

2002 KX65 Seized

Ive got a 2002 KX65 that was running great until it seized the other day. It was completly out of gas bone dry and a kid said he had some mix gas for it so I pushed it to his house and filled it up. Rode it around our track for about 15 minutes and when riding back on the road the bike popped and then seized. Kickstarter is locked up. Im thinking that it was just regular gas that we put in. I drained it out and it looks pretty clear, just a very light blue tint. How can I tell if it was pre-mix? How long would it take for a 2 stroke to seize using regular gas? If it was because of the gas what kind of damage and repairs am I looking at? Thanks alot

Ive got a 2002 KX65 that was running great until it seized the other day. It was completly out of gas bone dry and a kid said he had some mix gas for it so I pushed it to his house and filled it up. Rode it around our track for about 15 minutes and when riding back on the road the bike popped and then seized. Kickstarter is locked up. Im thinking that it was just regular gas that we put in. I drained it out and it looks pretty clear, just a very light blue tint. How can I tell if it was pre-mix? How long would it take for a 2 stroke to seize using regular gas? If it was because of the gas what kind of damage and repairs am I looking at? Thanks alot

it took 20 min for a new ktm 50 to seize on reg. gas.

i just touch the gas with your finger, then let it dry when you rub your finger you should still be able to feel a slick oil on it, if it was mixed gas, another way to check is pour gas into a clear cup and then watch for the oil and gas to seperate, you could have seized a crank bearing or piston, etc. the list is enless almost on what kind of damage may have happened,

im guessing either rod bearing or piston, first place to start is pull the head then see if the motor will turn with kickstarter.

Even if it wasnt pre mix, a 2002 was going to seize sooner or later. Just buy a complete top and bottom kit from motosport.com, its like 289.00. Has all your bearings, piston, crank, gaskets. Check your cylinder head, make sure that doesnt have to be replaced or replated. Jam can give you some good tips on how to get the cases apart and back together without the special tools.

• Like 1

Even if it wasnt pre mix, a 2002 was going to seize sooner or later.
👍 Why? I have an '01 that has had 15-20 top ends done on it & never touched the lower end.:worthy:

most likely everything that needs lube in the eng is going to have some damage, expensive lesson, if you weren't sure about the gas, you should of added some kind of oil, anything would of been better than nothing, hope it works out for you.

👍 Why? I have an '01 that has had 15-20 top ends done on it & never touched the lower end.:worthy:

Then I would say your time to touch the bottom end is near. These 65's are only meant to last a couple of years. Most do bottom end rebuilds as preventative maintinence. Bearings wear, seals wear, water pump impellers fail so most do these builds before it blows to save the Crank, prevent a scored cylinder that could possibly need replacing. Cause once it blows you are replacing all of it and its cheaper to tear it apart and replace seals and bearings & water pump parts.

Then I would say your time to touch the bottom end is near. These 65's are only meant to last a couple of years. Most do bottom end rebuilds as preventative maintinence. Bearings wear, seals wear, water pump impellers fail so most do these builds before it blows to save the Crank, prevent a scored cylinder that could possibly need replacing. Cause once it blows you are replacing all of it and its cheaper to tear it apart and replace seals and bearings & water pump parts.

most people around here wait till they break i hate that it takes so much more work and money to fix.

my sons 65 has 40+ hrs on it this year and after this racing season im tearing it all apart and replacing everything for next, i dont want to have to tell my son he has to miss a race next year cause his motor is blown etc. every year for us is a full top and bottom end rebuild, i believe this should be a must do for anyone that is racing.

Thanks guys, I dont really feel like sinking anymore money into this thing so im just going to sell it. $500 if anyone wants it. Los Angeles, CA

DSC04077.jpg

Not to rain on your parade, but it may be hard to sell it for 500, you might get lucky though. Its not really worth the cost of the rebuild if you cant do it yourself. However, parting it out may be your solution, you can sell those rims on ebay for 200 bucks for the set, the frame would probably fetch 75-100, the cylinder, if its not scorn would get about 150-200. The other misc stuff could bring in another 100 bucks.

Also, dont buy anymore used 65's, I know some have gotten lucky, but myself and others have only learned that most of them are raced to death, even 06's and 07's. So if you spend 1000-1500 on a used 65 and it blows, you are already at what a new one would have cost you. Plus there are fork seals, head stem bearings, the linkage, I just wont buy used minis anymore. For what I have into both of my 2003 65's I could have bought two new 65's.