Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke Questions.....HELP

I have a couple questions....

1. Whats the benefit of owning a 2T over a thumper???

2. Whats the maintanance like???

3. Which is the better model...CR, YZF, or RM???

4. Is it worth getting a 2 stroke to go along with my RMZ250?

5. Anything that I should know about the 2T's???

Thanks

1. Not really a benefit...just a different style of power delivery.

2. Maintenance is the same as 4stroke for most everything. Change oil and clean air filter frequently. Lube bearings. Change top end...a lot easier and faster than a 4stroke.

3. Depends on what you like. (All good bikes). RM likes a more aggressive rider. CR has good fit and finish but lacks bottom end. YZ is neutral with a do it all motor. Its YZ not YZF. YZF is a 4stroke.

4. Depends on what you want it for...only thing wrong with having 2 bikes is twice the maintenance.

5. No engine braking (you have to use the brakes). You have to shift more. Carry your speed more in corners.

Are you wanting a 125 or 250?

Thanks for the reply.

Everyone keeps saying that the 4 strokes are a lot more expesive to maintain than the 2 strokers....is that true?

Depends on how you ride the bike, ive had both 2 and 4 strokes and them maintanence was the same on both bikes, 4 strokes are more expensive yeah, for top end rebuilds and stuff. Just don't blow it up and it wont be too expensive to repair.. haha you forgot the kawi! :)

When a 4 stroke pops (blown engine) it can cost up to 1K to fix, a 2 stroke only a few hundred

But you have to change top ends more frequently on a 2t but there only about $100 and easy to do

and dont forget about valve checks too

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

Everyone keeps saying that the 4 strokes are a lot more expesive to maintain than the 2 strokers....is that true?

A 250 will have alot more power than your 250f. So in a sense, you won't be shifting as much and you won't need to carry your speed anymore than your 250f. The throttle response on the YZ and RM are instant. Not so on your 250f.

4strokes are only more pricey when its time for an overhaul. Otherwise they are the same to run day to day.

I have a couple questions....

1. Whats the benefit of owning a 2T over a thumper???

2. Whats the maintanance like???

3. Which is the better model...CR, YZF, or RM???

4. Is it worth getting a 2 stroke to go along with my RMZ250?

5. Anything that I should know about the 2T's???

Thanks

Never thought about it. I will need to research and get back to you. :D:worthy:

Seriously, there are 500 threads on TT that cover these questions. Just do a little poking around and searching. You will find everything you ever wanted and more. :)