Sign in to follow this  

GPS for Dual Sport Rides???

I am considering getting a GPS for my bike to use on some dual sport rides. My question is if using a GPS with the downloaded map provided by the ride coordinator allows me to skip using the roll chart? Are they pinpoint accurate with the waypoints already marked?

From what I have read on T-Talk, the Garmin 60CSX seems to be very popular with the Zumo 450 or 550 good choices as well. Plus more input on mounting kits is greatly appreciated. Pics of all would be great!:D

Your feedback is very much appreciated. :)

One problem you might encounter is trying to run a complete route (a collection of point to point tracks.) In the woods, accuracy drops. If the GPS doesn't think you crossed the end point of the track close enough, it will keep directing you back. Your options are either to run one track at a time, or delete the finished track from the route and reload. Both are time consuming and a much greater hassle than twisting the knob.

Putting waypoints in is a good thing. You can use the go-to function and have a good idea of how close you are getting to the next point, or just watch them show up on the map as you get in range.

Also - batteries and electronics fail.

Difficult to answer your question as it depends on how much work the ride coordinator has done.

Most dual-sport rides will only provide roll charts. I have had others provide waypoints (no route) with the roll charts. In this case you would still need the roll chart to know which way to go. The GPS will only confirm you are where you think you are. I have also been given tracks with which you just follow the yellow brick road.

Roll charts are part of the adventure.

sample_1.png

Pic of my Garmin GPSMAP60C mounted with RAM hardware. Works well.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1814&g2_serialNumber=2

I use a Garmin Rino 530HCx which is basically a Garmin 60CSx but with the addition of a two-way FRS/GMRS radio to communicate w/ other riders and weather radio. Waterproof too. It simply is a great GPS.

I've dropped it and the bike many times, and it has never failed (contrary to someone who posted previously). I run off a rechargeable battery and it gives more than 14hrs of continuous operation before dropping below 5% charge. My Garmin is simply stone reliable. I've been in the woods and mountains, and it is accurate to better than 30ft in these areas...I suppose it depends on the triangulation of the satellites it sees. In any case it is easy to load tracks and even see them on internet applications like Google Earth or Geological Survey Maps. I don't see the need for scroll maps once you have a GPS. As the point density for distance in the tracks you upload to the unit can be as close or as far apart as you want. I also have a 4GB miniSD memory card in it where you can load all the US street and all the US topo maps. The only drawback I see for my unit and the 60CSx is the smaller screen when compared to the Zumo.

Here's mine mounted on a RAM Ball Mount made specifically for handlebars:

cbaf82e3.jpg

Here's mine, I went minimalist, it's small and I only turn it on to pull a grid. I'm against hanging too much stuff on the bars, just more things to pick my skin off of.

Pic08007.jpg

with the 520s and the 530s garmin messed up and you can not hard wire them in. I use the 520 and love it. The battery will last all day though.

I use a Garmin 60Cx. Any of the newer Garmin's won't have any trouble with tree cover. I can get a lock deep inside my house. Now my old GPS V is another story...

Would have to know more about what GPS info exactly your ride organizers will provide. Waypoints? Tracks? Routes?

I know that personally (since you said "dual sport") if most of the route was on forest service roads and such even if I just got a roll chart I would map it out with my GPS and use it instead.

RAM mounts are inexpensive and work well.

been using a garmin etrex with a touratech mount for a few years and very happy with it. survived quite a few nasty crashes too. smashed it pretty bad last week though, when the bike just fell over from a strong gust of wind and the unit hit a truck bumper pretty hard. amazingly it still turns on! but it has a mind of it's own now and shuts off unexpextedly all the time. touratech mounts are the way to go! they can be bent back into shape very easy.

waiting to see what the new oregon model can do before i buy a new one...

I use the Garmin 60CX. I have it hardwired. It has worked great for me.

If you can come up with a roll chart for your ride ahead of time, you can plot out a route or track of it in Mapsource on your computer, then load that into the GPS and you're good to go.

Any Garmin with the new SiRF chip will have no trouble with loosing signal due to tree cover or any other kind of cover.

My question is if using a GPS with the downloaded map provided by the ride coordinator allows me to skip using the roll chart? Are they pinpoint accurate with the waypoints already marked?

Depends on the event/venue/area/Club...

At our events, we provide maps, GPS data and route sheets. We want the participants to follow the route sheets and use the GPS as supplemental.

The GPS data we provide has waypoints for the resets (~10 per course) and track logs for the course. It works just like having having somebody put a 2"x3" window over the paper map and then moving it as you move. You know right were you are, if there are big turns coming up and so on.

What the GPS doesn't do is provide information, like the route sheet will do. This includes dangers, warnings, information (food to your right 1 mile), cautions (residential area next 1 mile, slow please).

GPS-only is also more difficult precisely follow when you are in thick woods with lots of turn options (say two left turn options within 150' of each other). Yes, it can be followed with the GPS, but it's also easier to miss the turn. Same can be said of route sheets if you can't adjust your odometer to match the one used to create the route sheet.

We've also had guys ride a course backwards as they opted to use GPS-only (they obviously didn't look at the map either).

Similar to this is what we call "deja-vu" corners. This is where we will hit a 4 way intersection and make a cloverleaf out of it, with the track line hitting the same corner at least twice. Real easy to get confused with just the GPS and end up going backwards through the section (a danger for everyone). Route sheets, on the other hand, make this a trivial task - most guys won't even know they double-bumped the corner.

Here's a Deja Vu corner - difficult to follow just by GPS.

dejaVuCorner.gif

Some of the route sheet for part of that section:

routeSheetHonorSnip.gif

Of course, other types of routes and other areas of the world are easier to follow with just a GPS.

I have a Garmin 376c and love it! I have both the Ram mount and Touratech mounts on different bikes. I would personally stay away from the Zumo line for offroad use.

245528588_yJ9hX-M.jpg

173738416_uMfrc-M.jpg

244569889_cHGnu-M.jpg

257845078_D5dyK-M.jpg

Are those still available??? Thats exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't find it anywhere

Are those still available??? Thats exactly what I'm looking for, but I can't find it anywhere

Ya, but you probally won't find them in a store. Your best bet is to order one from a place like ww.cycoactive.com or http://www.gpscity.com/item-garmin-gpsmap-376c/376c.htm or even eBay.

The 276c is the samething but without the XM/WX radio features for less money.

I replaced my trusty Garmin "V" with a Garmin Vista Hcx and couldn't be happier. I crash every now and then including backflipping the bike on hill climbs and all of my GPS's have survived. The Vista has all of the modern features needed without the cost and size of some larger more spendy units.

Garmin 76CS with a RAM Mount. This thing has had 5500 mile of hard core desert and Baja use, and I have never botherd to hardwire it since I have never had it shut off.

046.jpg

Here's mine, I went minimalist, it's small and I only turn it on to pull a grid. I'm against hanging too much stuff on the bars, just more things to pick my skin off of.

Pic08007.jpg

Nice clean install:applause:

Me likee!!

Tony

I have a Zumo 450 and really like it. I loaded my TAT maps in it and went for a little ride today, west from the Oklahoma/Arkansas border for a couple of hours. This thing is great, the more I use it the more I like it.

I use the 60Csx. Have a RAM mount on all the bikes. Just move it over to whatever bike I'm riding that day. 👍

Garmin 76CS with a RAM Mount. This thing has had 5500 mile of hard core desert and Baja use, and I have never botherd to hardwire it since I have never had it shut off.

046.jpg

I use the same one but bought a cable to hard wire it directly to my battery. Great GPS that I share with my DRZ-400S and my VTX-1300C.