Sign in to follow this  

repacking stock exhaust on stock 07

The bike has about 50 hours on it and i was wondering when the exhaust needs to be re packed. the bike is starting to sound a little bit different. if it does i know i need to drill the rivets out of the back of the silencer but does anyone know what size rivets those are so i can get new ones

go to motosport.com, then go the the OEM section, then go to crf250r 07, then make it bring up the exaust, it will be and exploded photo of all the parts, the rivet will be a part and it will tell you the size

You need to take the correct size drill bit and drill out the rivets. Then you can remove the end caps and re pack the exhaust. Use the stringy/loose type of packing -- it is far better than the stuff in sheets. And get a piece of plastic pvc that fits over the silencer core, that way you can cut the stringy packing into strips and then push it in with the PVC.

You will need to order up enough rivets that are the right size to do the silencers.

I think honda uses hondabond when they put together the exhausts... Its a little hard to get them apart, at least I have found. When you put it back together, use some of the orange high temperature RTV silicone. It will come apart much easier the next time you go to repack :)

A general rule of thumb for aftermarket exhausts is to repack them every 20-25 hrs. Stock ones may be able to go a bit longer. ie. do when it gets louder.

what would be the result of not repacking it period?

your bike will get louder, not a sound good type of loud, but a low quality anoying type of loud, it will rattle too.

alright and do i take off the end cap or where the pipe meets the midpipe

You should only need to take the end cap off -- the end, end one where the exhaust comes out... Then you can use something to pull all of the old packing out. Then you do what I stated earlier for getting the new stuff in.

If you cannot get it out by just taking the end cap off, then yes,you need to take out the part that connects to the mid pipe.

just order the stock rivets from your local honda dealer, They're pretty cheap like .84 a piece. You need 6 for each pipe.