Sign in to follow this  

EXC-R Thermostat Removal

hey, has anyone removed, part # 59435017000 , the thermostat. under the parts fische its only a 70 degree one

so, if its at all possible would it be worth it.

and if it is worth it, how would I go about doing it. seems like I could just take it out completely and put the assembly back together, but don't know if it will work fine or not

There was some discussion a while back about this but I can't recall the exact conclusions. I would also like to do this to my bike. As I recall, there's a hose kit from another KTM model that will go on the EXC-Rs and deletes the thermostat. I don't think we can simply remove the T-stat as it has a bypass loop that needs to be pluged or otherwise accounted for.

If someone out there remembers exactly how to do this, please chime in. Now there are at least 2 people curious!!

thats probly 70C, metric, not Farenh.

On the 2st you use an SX hose kit and it doesnt have the thermo.

yeah, I knew its a 70c, but thats only 158f, which isn't hot like a cars 190 degree one.

so get the sx hose kit, and it will remove the thermostat.

I was just looking at the parts fische.

looks like the pump pushed the coolant to the top where there is a 'T' to split it off to the two radiators, then at the bottom of them, there hoses feed to another 'T' that gets fed into the motor

the thermostat cuts off the flow to the top 'T' and fluid is then recirculated into the engine.

so I'm thinking its possible, if it won't leak or anything, just to delete the thermostat from its housing, keep the housing there.

but even with the thermostat open, seems to me that the coolant can still flow to the engine and not to the radiators if they want, so is it possible to block off the tube that goes into the engine(for when the thermostat is blocking flow to the radiators)

A lot of people have done it. I for one.

I did it because I added the OEM fan and it's a better fit without the hose coming from the bottom of the right radiator.

The easiest way is to just order Y house for the SX version of the bike. replace the whole assembly. Then you'll have a tube sticking out of the bottom of the right radiator left open. I went to the autoparts store and bought a set of assorted caps from the radiator isle. Some said they had problems with the caps failing so I took the cap that fit best and put it on and then put another larger cap on top of that one. Hose clamped it and all has been great.

Just remember that it will take longer to warm up. Especially when it's cold out. Be sure it and give it ample time before riding off.