Sign in to follow this  

new thumper with questions....

Hello all..new thumper member here... just picked up an 86 XR600 project bike.

The engine has problems..the reason I got it :D ...

Upon teardown of engine, I found piston and cylinder looking good.. have not measured yet though.

Now here is the question......

When I removed the right side cover..I found a small freeze plug stuck to the mag pickup....

Where could it have come from ?? :)

I think it may have come from the end of the camshaft, as there is only 1 plug in the end, and its about the correct size to fit there.

The lower rod bearing has come apart, so I guess I need to find some place to replace the rod.. any ideas ??

This project is located in southern Michigan. Thanks all.

Welcome to TT!

Going to need to see a pic of that "freeze plug".

OK.. here is the plug in question....

HPIM1038.jpg

Does it go here ???

HPIM1040.jpg

And the rear show stopper....

HPIM1041.jpg

Thanks for all the help...don't want to be doing alot of this Smiley_-_throwing_money.gif

Sorry, I can't really help. I just wanted to make sure that the piston and cylinder look good. I mean, you've got it all torn apart. Are you sure the piston and cylinder don't look a little undersized?

Again, sorry...see, I've got a sickness. It's called toomanymodicus tothinkabouticus andjustcantstopicus.

BTW - Welcome to TT and happy to see another midwesterner in here.:D These :) western riders are makin me sick with all their fancy ride reports and pigfests and whatnot.:worthy:

BTW - Welcome to TT and happy to see another midwesterner in here.:worthy:These :) western riders are makin me sick with all their fancy ride reports and pigfests and whatnot.:ride:

Come on out and we'll go for a ride in the wide open desert :D:banghead:

Nope...it doesn't go in the end of the cam...nothing goes on there.I've had a few 600 engines apart and cant say I've seen anything resembling that before.Cam looks in nice shape.

I have heard the countershaft (or the other transmission shaft?) has a plug in it. Looks to be a plausible size for that.

Dave

I have heard the countershaft (or the other transmission shaft?) has a plug in it. Looks to be a plausible size for that.

Dave

I've read that somewhere too. The OP had the same problem. I just can't find it.

When you get the cases off, check the shafts for a place where it would fit. Check to see if there are wear mark in the shaft for any sign that the plug may have fit into.

Hey kids ive got it. I just so happened to look at one of our may cranks lying around and YES there are a freeze plugs on each side of the crank pin. If one of these pop out and land on your magnet, you will lose almost all oil pressure to the rod bearings. The oil will use the path of least resistanceand flow right out the hole that the freeze plug was supposed to be. not forcing the oil through the holes in the crankpin into the bearings.

Are those gold flakes inside that plug? :)

nope thats copper and its from his rod bearing cage. I think.

Nope...it doesn't go in the end of the cam...nothing goes on there.I've had a few 600 engines apart and cant say I've seen anything resembling that before.Cam looks in nice shape.

ther is a freeze plug on the opposite side of the cam used for forcing oil into the holes on the cam lobes and center support. :) stupid freeze plugs.

There is also a plug of that size on the inside end of the countershaft. I found out about it when I got an aftermarket countershaft a few years back. I was comparing the old one to the new one and found that the aftermarket one had no plug. I reused the old countershaft. Now my engine is a 93 and not a 86, but I think that the oiling systems are the same.

Thanks for the quick replys...I will let you know what I fnd when we finish the teardown... got a few places to check. :)

the countershaft has a freeze plug that measures .396". The freeze plug on the crank pin measures .628". There should be a tiny hole in the freeze plug use to pressure bleed if it is in fact the crank pin freeze plug.

the countershaft has a freeze plug that measures .396". The freeze plug on the crank pin measures .628". There should be a tiny hole in the freeze plug use to pressure bleed if it is in fact the crank pin freeze plug.

Update: Freeze plugs were in the crank pin, but I did find this possability in the countershaft for the trans... what do you think ?

HPIM1042.jpg

Update: Freeze plugs were in the crank pin, but I did find this possability in the countershaft for the trans... what do you think ?

HPIM1042.jpg

I think a plug should be there...