Need Valve Advice

Why does everyone on here always say Ron Hamp and MRD are the only ways to go?

That shit is getting annoying.

It is annoying isnt it .the reason may be because i have 30 years of 4 stroke engine building experience starting with grandnational dirt track engines which are 4 stroke and end up being very simlar to 4 stroke mx engines that need smooth power .I have had to work with manufactures of engine components to develop spring kits a well as cams and pistons to hold up in there enviroment mainly because the other companys product that could not.the other reason is Dave and me have been here for ever trying to solve and help customers with there problems.I could go on here why pepole should by my products and make it look like a commercial add and why i think its better but i will just let the racers and genral public decide .

• Like 1

why not?.....support the small guy's not the big guy's that give a shit less about you

I've had Ron Hamp due work on my CRF250 head. He was very reasonable, answered questions I had and stood behind his work. His pricing was also reasonable. Would I do it all over again? Absoutely 100% yes, yes, yes.

• 5 months later...
If you do want to rebuild your current head -- make sure you get the valve guides checked and the seats cut, if the seats aren't cut the new valves will not last.

Then you can stick in new seals, valves, and springs as the minimum. Its nice to replace the cotters and retainers as well. Retainers can wear.

I would go with some stainless valves, the last longer. Faction MX has a good kit. But the best stuff out there is Ron Hamps special coated ferra valves with his spring kit.

Will these SS valves from Ferrea fix the common problem of (very) frequent valve adjustment?

Get a new 06 or 07 head for $230 and build it with SS valves. The newer head has better valve seat material and "shouldn't" need as many adjustments over time. Try Ron Hamp or AgentSmith, they both do good work with good customer service and price.

This link will even tell you how to do the work yourself

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564710

An '06 or '07 head will fit the '04 cylinder? It might sound like a dumb question because you said it, but I'm looking for reassurance since i might do this myself.

An '06 or '07 head will fit the '04 cylinder? It might sound like a dumb question because you said it, but I'm looking for reassurance since i might do this myself.

Yes, all 02-08 heads are interchangeable. The 07-08 head is the best of the bunch because of the small exhaust valve/ports.

Faction's stuff has been working great for me. It's a bargain and seems to hold up well. I'd definitely opt for their stuff over Kibblewhite since you don't have to buy a $210 set of springs, half of which you don't need (they force exhaust springs on you).