Sign in to follow this  

Stock DRZ Turn Signal Gremlins

I've searched and haven't found this problem listed. Stock 2001 DRZ-400S, all stock including turn signals. My son has dumped it enough to warrant replacing the rear fender, tail light and turn signals so I transplanted one from my 2002 DRZ 400S. All the stock connectors were used, wires spliced according to markings/colors, but no turn signals. When they are plugged in... nothing, the headlight and tail/stop light work fine, but no turn signals. Now here's the really weird part, when I unplug the rear turn signals and push the turn signal switch to the left, the right front turn signal quick flashes (indication of a burn out bulb), but a test light stuck in the left rear turn signal connector shows power there. The same happens when the turn signal switch is moved to the right, (front left quick flashes, right rear shows power), but when the rear ones are plugged in, no dice... What gives? :) My local shop ace mechanic said "good luck with that one", but didn't have any ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like your front signal wires are switched left and right.

Go back and check your basics. powers, grounds, good bulbs, nothing shorted (wires touching). You may have inadvertently switched something around.

Good luck:)

Golds, thanks for the advice, but everything is stock, the front wires have not been changed and they worked prior to changing the rear t/s out. In other words, the front end has not been touched, just changed out the tail light assy along with the turn signals using the stock connectors under the seat.

Sounds to me that you have connected the rear blinkers to wrong connectors.

Either left blinker to right blinker-wire ,or oposite.

Could also be that you have switched + and - in the rear.

If you take out the bulbs in front-blinkers ,whats happen then ?

Sounds to me that you have connected the rear blinkers to wrong connectors.

Either left blinker to right blinker-wire ,or oposite.

Could also be that you have switched + and - in the rear.

If you take out the bulbs in front-blinkers ,whats happen then ?

I used a test light to identify the left rear t/s connector (gray) and right (black) so I'm fairly confident they are correct. Wires are connected according to color coding in the factory connectors from bike harness.

I haven't yet tried removing the front bulbs, but what I'm trying to determine is how the rear affect the entire t/s system (by shutting it down) and why the front are reversed. They are were working correctly and are connected (gray to gray) and (black to black) up front and have not been messed with.

well, if the signals worked on your bike before the switch, and the signals worked on your sons bike before the crash. And your pretty sure its hooked up right... then possibly something else damaged in the crash???? turn signal relay, pinched wire, signal switch on handlebar?