Sign in to follow this  

Jersey street legal DRZ 400 question

Does anyone have experience with tagging a 2001 DRZ 400 E in Jersey?

It has a street legal title from Vermont

Does the vin# kick up any red flags at DVM?

Any other related threads or posts on this would be helpful

yeah, alot of times the title will say for off-road use only, and pretty much that kills any chance you may of had of registering it.

Not sure on how they go about transferring titles from other states though.

If there is a vermount motorcycle title your ok as long as this bike was never registered as an ATV. If there is some kind of homemade tittle or something you can buy an S frame with a tittle already, they pop up in the classifieds all the time. ur going to pay about 500bucks tho but its easyier than fighting the state, but if it had a tittle you have a good chance. NY is a real pain in the sack I'm sure NJ is the same

yea it's tagged in vermont (not for off road only) & never as an atv?

I'm going to look at it today, I'm going to try and get the dude to go to DMV with me ?

Does anyone have experience with tagging a 2001 DRZ 400 E in Jersey?

It has a street legal title from Vermont

Does the vin# kick up any red flags at DVM?

Any other related threads or posts on this would be helpful

Here's a related thread albeit for a Honda, that just recently posted about NJ tagging requirements as well.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679841

If I were you, I'd simply go to DMV, turn in the Vermont plate and title, ask for a NJ plate, registration and title, all nonchalant like. DMV in NJ is not sophisticated.

If I were you, I'd simply go to DMV, turn in the Vermont plate and title, ask for a NJ plate, registration and title, all nonchalant like. DMV in NJ is not sophisticated.

thats what i did :)

I bought a 80 PE400 last year with a PA title and it transfered to NJ without a problem. A KTM might raise suspicion, especialy 05 and up, they do get through though.

My buddy tagged a 650 Honda XR that was the offroad only model. He had a Colorado title and an aftermarket light kit. Went right through NJ DMV and inspection, no questions asked.

you'll be fine - just take it to DMV trust me

I tried that too but when they enter the information sometimes it wont go through because a reflaged offroad vin if someone had registered it as an off road bike at sometime. but yeah I wouldnt ask a single question untill if they wont let it go through, don't raise questions, it will make them dig deeper.