Sign in to follow this  

2006 CRF250 Engine noise

I just bought a 06 crf250. When the bike is off and I kick down the kick started easy I hear the motor make a noise. Sounds like the piston maybe hitting something. Not a grind just a knock at a certain point of the stroke. Do these bikes make a noise when they hit top dead center? This is my first 4 stroke. I know 2 strokes dont make this noise. The bike runs good as hell and has good compression. I'm a pretty fast rider and the bike holds up good at the track so far so the motor seems to be in good condition. What do you think it is? I'm going to rebuild the bike soon anyway I was just currious if anyone knew.

Its the decompressor. When you rotate the motor slowly you can hear it, it means that you are close to top dead center.

Yep, it's a normal sound on these bad boys!

I just noticed it on my boys......................it's loud, sound like metal slapping but ok when running. still ok with u guys?

I just noticed it on my boys......................it's loud, sound like metal slapping but ok when running. still ok with u guys?

yep its normal and fine.

If your bike happens to have SS valves you will notice alot more engine noise then one with stock valves. This is especially so on the 250's