FMF Powerbomb/Q2 mounting problems

I just recieved my powerbomb/q2 from the TT store. I've run into a couple of problems trying to mount it.

The mounting flange on the header has two recesses which I assume are for the header bolt/nut. However on mine, the recesses are facing toward the engine. That can't be right. It only leaves me about 2-3 threads to tighten the header nut. Can anyone who has one of these confirm mine are backwards?

On the Q2, once I do get everything mounted, and have all the hardware loosely in place, the can is pretty far inward no matter how I adjust. So much so that the tire would hit it if it traveled enough. How far in toward the fender should this mount?

Part numbers are correct so that's not the problem.

No pic. But I do think it was installed backwards. The side that goes toward the head has two perfect countersunk recesses that match the bolt size. The outer surface that the bolts actually contact is all flat. Looks like it got placed on backwards and then snuck through inspection.

No pic. But I do think it was installed backwards. The side that goes toward the head has two perfect countersunk recesses that match the bolt size. The outer surface that the bolts actually contact is all flat. Looks like it got placed on backwards and then snuck through inspection.

Hi gravy, :D

You're right... it is backwards. My hex mounting bolts go into the recesses...

fmfpowerbomb007.jpg

You'll need to send it back. I'm sure they'll make it good, you just have to go without a new pipe for a while.?

Take Care,

Greg

Hey gravy... before you send anything back. Take a real clear pic of your mounting flange and email it to FMF. They might ship out a new header before you have to send the defective one back, and you could save a lot of time. You might also ask for reimbursement for the extra shipping costs. After all it is a valid manufacturing defect.

It's worth a shot... give it a try. ?

Take Care,

Greg

Good point. I've e-mailed FMF customer service to see what my options are before I do anything. I'm really disapointed as we're heading to Deal's Gap tomorrow and really wanted it installed. It's fine though. I went ahead and installed the Q2 with the stock header. I figured out I needed to use the big aluminum spacer to get the canister moved far enough out (although the instructions didn't say to use it). So, at least I'm funtional.

On a side note, how the hell do you get the spark arrestor out of the Q2? I removed the hex screw, but the spark arrestor insert won't budge. What's the trick?

Well, no word from FMF. Shocker. But I did submit an online return request to the TT store yesterday. I got three prompt e-mail's back (including one with a pre-paid Fed Ex return label) AND a personal phone call from Matt at the TT store with an apology for the inconvenience. The replacement header is being shipped out as we speak, and the TT folks are going to inspect it before it leaves to ensure the flange on this one is correct. That's outstanding customer service. Thanks to the TT store folks.

+1 on TT customer service. Always done great by me.

And I had to add 3-4 washers to the pipe where it mounts to the Passeger peg to keep it from rubbing the shock. Never did rub the tire, but can't remember if I reversed the hanger on the muffler. (I'm not near the bike at the moment).