Sign in to follow this  

effect of removing shock shims

What will the removal of some rear shock shims do; soften, stiffen or no change, to shock action?

I installed 2000 yr r m 250 brakes wheels and suspension on my chinese dual sport, it rides stiff but it is actually kinda fun to ride now. I did this change on low budget ie atf for shock fluid, cut shock shaft 2 in and retread, cut shock body 2 in (die ground in new spring clip groove) lol, and I need to stay on low budget!

I wonder if it is possible to enclose pic?

Did you use the linkage or is it connnected straight to the swingarm? Removing the larger diam shims will soften it...

What will the removal of some rear shock shims do; soften, stiffen or no change, to shock action?

I guess you know that at one side of the piston compression shims are located, the other side are rebound shims.

usually you have a number of large shims, then one ore two smaller shims (crossover) and then a tapered stack.

like KTM-Lew said removing the larger diam shims or shims of the tapered stack will soften it, removing crossover shims will stiffen it (low to mid speed compression)

Yes I did use all original suzuki linkages. It was a trick determining location of where to weld on shock linkage frame mount.

Thank you to the people that responded, and I know my weekend will be spent taking apart the shock!

ie atf for shock fluid, cut shock shaft 2 in and retread, cut shock body 2 in (die ground in new spring clip groove)

atf in a shock????

man, if i read all this, you're really scaring me... :)