Sign in to follow this  

Inside oil filter o-ring question

Well, I pull my oil filter today to change the oil for the first time since I bought the bike, and guess what? No O-ring on the backside where the oil enters the oil filter. The guy I bought it from had it serviced at the dealer, and they still can't get it right.

Should I be worried about anything? What size O-ring is is?

Thanks

Jon

Uh.....I wouldn't ride it until you get this o-ring. You sure it wasn't stuck to the back of the filter?? You can get the part of TT I believe.

Your probably fine. Just don't let it happen now that YOU own the bike.

If I know the size, I can pick some up local, as I wouldn't think it was anything special.

The d*mn dealer has to order it, can you believe that?

It will not happen under my watch! I service my own equipment, and no more than the high school kid they have changing oil!

Thanks

Jon

It's funny that they don't have the party needed for an OIL CHANGE, something you would think they do regularly?????????

That probably told me right there (them no having the o-ring) what I should have expected to see when I purchased the oil filter.

does anyone have a part number or size?

Thanks

Jon

Re: small inner filter o-ring.

It is a odd ball metric size. If you try to fit a standard o-ring, it is a bit too thick. (it will work but is not quite right). Even the local Seal Kit supplier said this is ridiculous, I don't have it, & its a special metric non stock. My guess is that you have no damage due to the o-ring missing, of course it's best to order 6 or so from the Stealer or on-line somewhere.

Without that o-ring you are letting unfiltered oil run through your bike. I just did an oil change on my DRZ today but I had to run by the dealer to grab two of each o-rings for the oil change. I'm glad I went by as I couldn't reuse the old small o-ring because it was two seperate pieces when I took off the filter.

Oh! here I go talking out my ass again. So excuse me if I'm wrong.

It's nothing special...just about any close fitting O ring will work. So many riders mention that they put on a couple of thousand miles between oil changes only to find that the O ring was missing. I did it myself once. Now I keep on hand about a doz. O rings that I bought from my local hardware store for about a dime apiece. They're a little bit thicker than the standard, but they work just fine.

Sometimes, I tow my drz with my VW bus. It has about 100k miles on it and the bus runs great and not only doesn't it have an O ring, if I'm not mistaken,it doesn't even have a filter.

The O ring problem... I just chalk it up to bad engineering and shear stupidity on the part of Suzuki for selling filters that have their name on them and don't include the necessary O rings.

Tony

I have a spare oil filter o-ring and I live south of Salem. When are you going to learn to quit going to that dealership? I have been there twice in the last year or so and left both times because - even though I was standing behind the counter with a can of air filter oil and a twenty exposed they would not wait on me! They do not have a cashier, only parts guys.

I don't go over there often. Maybe we can get toghether and I will get the o-ring from you if you don't mind. My buddy had it serviced there and I told him the other day that they were crooks and not to do that if he ever bought another motorcycle.

Jon

I buy my bike filters from NAPA. They are NAPA Power Sports filters, and they are made by Wix filters.

They include both O rings, Inner and outer. DRZ

filter is PS7931.

Regards Sonny

i just went to the local auto parts sztore and picked up a Doorman nitril o-ring kit. cost $6 and it only had one o-ring that was the right size but atleast i have one in there now.

I buy my bike filters from NAPA. They are NAPA Power Sports filters, and they are made by Wix filters.

They include both O rings, Inner and outer. DRZ

filter is PS7931.

Regards Sonny

I gotta check that out!! That would be perfect!

:)

I get them for my DR200SE there too. It also has

both o-rings. The only downside to the deal is, that

depending on the area your at, it may not be a normal

stocking filter. I had to order mine in. I work at NAPA,

so I get the inside scoop. The Power Sport filters are kind

of a new thing, and some stores may not have a big selection. They'll gladly order them for you, but it might take a couple of days if they have to do that.

Regards Sonny

Here's a pic

141_4163.jpg

NAPA, now we are talking! That way the stealership is out of the deal!

Jon