Sign in to follow this  

Does WR250R have a Cush Drive?

well, yamaha classifies it as a street bike. The whole cush drive thing is borderline mythical anyway in the dual sport arena.

let's see if we can find an example of a factory DS with a cush drive in the last decade

wth is a cush drive?

:) The rear spocket on the WR bolts directly to the hub. Some bikes have a rear sprocket carrier that is separate from but fits into the hub. A rubber bung fits between the carrier and hub to "cushion" drive forces.

Probably helps with strong engines on bikes using street tires on grippy pavement. There's enough slip on dirt to make the cush hub unnecessary. Knobbie dirt tires also provide cushion of their own, so you're OK even on pavement.

let's see if we can find an example of a factory DS with a cush drive in the last decade

OK...:D

:) I got it...the 2006 KTM 640 Adventure!

But I agree, a 250 w/ any kind of knobby tire ridden on the street is not risking damage to the transmission from road shocks.

Cheers, Magile

I think that might be one of teh very few. Maybe the Honday 650L, but I don't think so.

Did a google search last night and couldn;t find a single one.

I think dealers Make this up to discourage DS OR only models. I've heard teh same thing.... well you really need a cush drive or would wear out your transmission...... blah blah blah.

every search I did last night came up with sport bike uses. On the rare occasion someone wanted one for a DB, it was becasue "the dealer said......."

KTM doesnlt even use it on their factory SuMo bikes

the klr, xr650l, ktm 950, drz 400 are some that i know are cush drive.. most larger bore are.. the wr250 is not and is probably small enough of a bore that its not so hard on the trans and its probably overbuilt anyway,, IMHO

Kind of stretching the "In the last decade" thing, but the XT350 has one.

The wr-r & wr-x do not have a cush hub. I own a wr-r. I've owned two dr-z400s's and they don't have cush hubs either. Nor does the XR650L. The DR650 has one(step-father has an 07), the KLR 650 does (I had an 04), and the new ktm 690 does. Considering both the WR-X and the DR-Z400SM, both super-moto style bikes with 17" street tires do not come with cush hubs I'd guess both suzuki and yamaha are reasonably confident that the transmissions will last without the cush even when ridden on the street with sticky tires.

the new ktm 690 does.

Yup, the 690 Enduro has one. I think I noticed that fact on the mini-site. It doesn't say on the main site.