Sign in to follow this  

Combination that just wont start?

For everyone out there that has "experimented" with modded crfs's, has any ever come across a combination that just wont start? haha

I have a ported head by yves edge with a cp 14.25:1 piston. With the yves edge custom grind cam the bike starts up one to three kicks just about everytime. Recently i put the stock cam back in, just to see if it would give me some more off idle responce on the tighter tracks around here and with the stock cam the bike will not start. I have only managed to get it kick start two times and other than that it has not fired. It will bump start easily, i can run by myself on flat ground and get the bike to bump start.

The bike has fuel, spark, and the timing is right (obviouse due to the fact that i spent a whole day riding the bike and jump starting it). The valves are in spec. Im running the exhuast valves at .009, i was told thats where they work the best and from my experience the bike runs better with the valves a little tighter.

I have both a stock decompression weight and a modded one, neither one makes the bike start any easier than the other one.

What else could keep the bike from kick starting but still make the bike bumpstart easily and run perfect once its running? I know it sounds like valves but i have checked them about 8734987234 times. Its still practically a brand new topend, only about 6 hours on it.

It has me and everyone i talk to about it stumped:excuseme:

Actually, yes. Same problem with a basically stock TRX450r. JE high comp piston and faction mx valves and same issue.

Talk to Yves Edge about it he might have a few pointers. I know he did a pretty trick job on a CRF304 and there was a special secret to kick starting it easily. So i'm sure there is a trick to start your bike up with the OEM cam.

I spoke to him and he said he has never had a problem starting his kits with the stock cam.

I guess somethings just not happy with my setup...i just can't figure it out though.

Glad to hear you have got it figured out. bet that thing pulls now. you say you went back with the cam I sent you? what do you think of the difference between the two now that you have it right?

The bike is fast! The with your cam the powerband still feels somewhat like stock, just with alot more power everywhere and quite a bit more up top.

I never really rode it with the stock cam once i fixed the problem. I rode it around the yard but that was about it so i cant really compare them. I dont see any reason to use the stock cam, your cam works perfect for just about anything. Maybe one day ill try the stock cam again for the heck of it but i dont think its worth the work, i know im not going to gain anything.

For those that are wondering the problem was that when i lined the timing marks up on the cases for top dead center it was a tooth off. I found true TDC by sitting a wire tie on top of the piston and watching it until it was all the way up...sure enough the marks on the side case were off.