Sign in to follow this  

KTM MX fender install on DR650SE

OK, this is about as far from rocket science as you can get, and for many of you this is remedial wrench-turning. But to get people motivated to farkle, here's a description and some photos of my installation of a KTM full-size (non-supermoto) MX front fender on my DR, a really easy evening or afternoon project anyone with a file and a screwdriver can do.

There are various references around the 'net that a pre-'02 KTM motocross fender will work with modification on a DR, and there are a handful of photos if you search http://images.google.com well enough. But that fender is discontinued. I found that in the KTM part manuals, the '03+ fender is specified as superceding the earlier part, even on the older bikes. Apparently, Acerbis made the original plastic for KTM, and when you order the "aftermarket" plastic from Acerbis, you actually get a KTM-branded original. Important? No, but KTM plastic has a nice serious look, :D and in this case the KTM fender is much cheaper than a replacement Suzuki fender would be (try ~$60). :worthy::)

I ordered part #73-6081 from the ThumperTalk store for $23.36. If you've never ordered from ThumperTalk, they are very helpful people. I tried to order the original fender, and I received both a call and an e-mail from a TT rep letting me know that the Acerbis and UFO fenders for the earlier bikes were both discontinued. After a little research with online KTM microfiche, I decided to give it a whirl with the later fender.

The KTM fender's mounting holes are a bit wider from side to side, but closer together from front to back and the KTM uses two tall plastic pins molded into the fender to locate it on the triple-tree and keep it straight. You have to cut the pins off and oval the mounting holes in the KTM fender to get it mounted on the DR's lower clamp. I took off the stock fender and used a Sharpie to draw the shape of the original mounts on a piece of paper:

photo_4.jpg

Then I used a burr bit in a Dremel to open up the mounting holes on the KTM fender just enough to see the marks through the new holes. KTM molds a thicker area around the mounting holes, presumably in a shape that works with their fasteners. The rear holes have to go where this donut is, so I used my dremel to flatten these out. I removed the donuts on both the front and rear holes, though in these photos I haven't yet removed the front donuts:

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Suzuki mounts the original fender using washers that have a sleeve in the middle, just like the ones that protect the side covers from being squashed by repeated removal to clean your air filter. They work well on the original fender, because they are the same thickness as the fender plastic, so you can tighten the bolts and hold the plastic in place without squashing it. After grinding away the plastic donuts on the KTM fender (which were just in the way after ovaling the holes, especially in the back), the stock washer sleeves are too thick, and the fender would not be held tight.

I found that a 5/16" washer is the right size to slip over the sleeve on the original Suzuki washer. A 1/4" washer is about the right size for the bolt. I know the originals are metric, but finding stainless metric hardware in the US can be tedious. The combination of the two holds the fender very tight, and I believe it won't mangle the plastic over time this way. I assembled things like this, from top to bottom:

In the front, the holes were not widened greatly:

• triple clamp
  • original Suzuki sleeved washer
  • new fender
  • 5/16" stainless flat washer over the upper washer sleeve
  • original Suzuki lower washer
  • original Suzuki bolt

In the back, I wanted to support the fender better because I had to oval the holes more, and I felt the front of the fender could be slightly higher, so I used fender washers and put one on top of the fender to lower the rear and raise the front about 1/2":

• triple clamp
  • original Suzuki sleeved washer
  • 5/16" stainless fender washer over the upper washer sleeve
  • new fender
  • 1/4" stainless fender washer
  • original Suzuki lower washer
  • original Suzuki bolt

Before you tighten the bolts down, get them finger tight then go to the front and line the fender up with the center of the wheel. Then snug the bolts down.

Finally, you can drill an appropriate-sized hole for the speedo cable clip in roughly the same place as on the stock fender, and reuse the clip hardware.

I haven't yet drilled holes in the back of the fender to let more air through to the air-cooled head. How critical does everyone think this is? This fender doesn't block the oil cooler unless you're in a fairly sharp left turn.

photo_6.jpg

photo_7.jpg

The result: it's a little more aggressive looking, feels a bit more stable and less floppy than the stock fender, and it's shaped much less like a wing to catch the wind at freeway speed. It appears to be larger and give better protection from flung mud and water than the popular Acerbis universal supermoto fender, though I can't say from experience. I'm in the process of going black with my blue '05, and I'm pleased with the results. This weekend I'll try to take some better pictures of the result and post them here as an update.

photo.jpg

That may be just the ticket for me. I am getting rid of the wing front fender in favor of something that is better for the road and wasn't sure if I wanted the lack of coverage of the Acerbis SM front fender.

Is that an original VW Beetle fender and running board I see in the background of one of the pics!? Nice ride!

Is that an original VW Beetle fender and running board I see in the background of one of the pics!? Nice ride!

Yup thats's an oval-window 1200cc beetle, I believe a '62. It's my sister's, and my brother-in-law drives it to work now and again. Beautiful machine, but the DR has 10 more horsepower. :D:)

yep:

pics001lh5.jpg

pics003ju8.jpg

this is the "older style". i see no difference.

this has been a popular mod for klr for along time.

what's the new part #?

i want to put one on my xr. this fender will fit most any bike with some drilling.

Nice write-up and pictures! Should definitely help the more mechanically timid to try something like this. :)

I have been using the KTM fender for a while now and really like it (I cheated a bit though and just used the KTM triples and forks as well :D ). Very stable at any speed my DR can go (about 100mph GPS) and it offers great protection.

I you do get a wobble, the fender is supposed to be used with a plastic brace that bolts on top. Only cost a few bucks from KTM and looks much better than the Acerbis universal one IMO. You can just see it in this picture, I'll try and get a better one later:

IMG_1171.jpg

yep:

this is the "older style". i see no difference.

this has been a popular mod for klr for along time.

what's the new part #?

I think the black one is KTM part number 5030801030030, "FENDER FRONT BROAD BLACK 03". I didn't write it down, so double-check that part number before ordering it. The last two digits are the color, I know that, and I think 30 is black and 04 is orange.

Go to http://www.munnracing.com/, click on "KTM Microfiche", then select "OEM Parts" and "Description" and search for "fender front". It's about 2/3 down the first page. I guess you could order from there too.

I bought it from the ThumperTalk store, and the TT part number is 73-6081. That's the listing for the Acerbis "aftermarket replacement" fender, but the one that came said KTM on it and didn't say Acerbis anywhere. The guy I talked to at the TT store is a KTM head and told me beforehand that Acerbis made the OEM plastic. I suppose you could probably walk into a KTM store and buy it but I don't have any right near me.

i want to put one on my xr. this fender will fit most any bike with some drilling.

I think you're probably right. 'course they're hard to get in any color other than black, white, or orange. :) It looks like there's a silver one, but I don't know if you can actually order it.

never gotten any wobble on the dr or the klr. even without the brace it's stiffer than stock. i checked intially when i used this on my old klr about the additional brace. ktm forks are needed for the mounting (like you have). with others, no place to mount up the brace properly, unless i'm missing some info. either way, it has not been an issue what so ever.

Nice write-up and pictures! Should definitely help the more mechanically timid to try something like this. :)

I have been using the KTM fender for a while now and really like it (I cheated a bit though and just used the KTM triples and forks as well :D ). Very stable at any speed my DR can go (about 100mph GPS) and it offers great protection.

I you do get a wobble, the fender is supposed to be used with a plastic brace that bolts on top. Only cost a few bucks from KTM and looks much better than the Acerbis universal one IMO. You can just see it in this picture, I'll try and get a better one later:

IMG_1171.jpg

you said above that part # was superceded by new parts.

i tried at the TT store and came up with nothing using that number so that doesn't help anyone else. where you given another number or did TT just find the new part for you without supplying the new #? i'd prefer to order from TT as i want to get some other items.

I think the black one is KTM part number 5030801030030, "FENDER FRONT BROAD BLACK 03". I didn't write it down, so double-check that part number before ordering it. The last two digits are the color, I know that, and I think 30 is black and 04 is orange.

Go to http://www.munnracing.com/, click on "KTM Microfiche", then select "OEM Parts" and "Description" and search for "fender front". It's about 2/3 down the first page. I guess you could order from there too.

I bought it from the ThumperTalk store, and the TT part number is 73-6081. That's the listing for the Acerbis "aftermarket replacement" fender, but the one that came said KTM on it and didn't say Acerbis anywhere. The guy I talked to at the TT store is a KTM head and told me beforehand that Acerbis made the OEM plastic. I suppose you could probably walk into a KTM store and buy it but I don't have any right near me.

I think you're probably right. 'course they're hard to get in any color other than black, white, or orange. :) It looks like there's a silver one, but I don't know if you can actually order it.

Great pics, except the one of your hairy leg!:)

Ha! If you're talking about the one showing the top of the fender before I mounted it, that's actually the inside of my hairy forearm.

you said above that part # was superceded by new parts.

I think 5030801030030, the one I listed, is the new number.

I think 5030801010030 is the old number ('02 and earlier).

It's entirely possible that I'm confused about those part numbers, so if you're going straight to a KTM dealer, I'd talk to them first to make sure.

I'm sure 73-6081 is the right TT part number though. Go to the TT shop, click on "Part number search", and plug 73-6081 into the "Tucker Rocky" search field... or give Matt's link a try, I think that link does all that just by clicking.

Ha! If you're talking about the one showing the top of the fender before I mounted it, that's actually the inside of my hairy forearm.

I think 5030801030030, the one I listed, is the new number.

I think 5030801010030 is the old number ('02 and earlier).

It's entirely possible that I'm confused about those part numbers, so if you're going straight to a KTM dealer, I'd talk to them first to make sure.

I'm sure 73-6081 is the right TT part number though. Go to the TT shop, click on "Part number search", and plug 73-6081 into the "Tucker Rocky" search field... or give Matt's link a try, I think that link does all that just by clicking.

The link I posted is the exact part number for the fender that drg got and Acerbis is the OEM manufacturer of KTM's plastics. How do I know this? I have owned KTMS since I was 10 y/o and currently own one with all OEM plastics that say Acerbis on them. :)

I played hooky from work and installed fork (0.50) and rear (8.1) springs from Kientech, 14/43 sprockets, and mirror extensions today, and opened the airbox (based on jetting it looks like the PO was just running the airbox open... it runs much better with the top of the airbox opened with the jetting I got from the PO). The reserve on the petcock I got on my new IMS tank doesn't seem to work. It ran out of gas on "on", and wouldn't restart when I switched to "res". But when I put more fuel in, it started fine.

Next week I'm going to try re-dying the vinyl on the seat all black. I'll start a new thread to let everyone know how that goes.

But as promised, here are some more photos to show the results of the KTM front fender install, outside in the light.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Does anyone know if this fender in yellow matches Suzuki 04 DR650 yellow at all?

Show me a KTM fender in yellow first...

Does anyone know if this fender in yellow matches Suzuki 04 DR650 yellow at all?

I've seen listings for KTM orange, black, silver (listed as a rally color), and white. I'd be surprised if anyone has made one in yellow. Your best bet is probably white, probably KTM part #5030801030020... aren't the side covers on yellow DRs white in '04? I can't seem to bring the TT parts web site up right now, but as I recall they only had the Acerbis equivalent in black and orange.