Sign in to follow this  

Small GPS

I was turned onto this by a woodland firefighter last year, in general I'm against putting a GPS on the bars.

They make these to go on your wrist, can't see that. But small enough for me to put on the bars and at $100 a lot cheaper to break than the big 60 series.

Pic08007.jpg

...that's either a Garmin Foretrex, or Forerunner.

The Forerunner is a waiste of time for a dirt biker. The Foretrex 201 (discontinued) is the better of them all as it allows uploads of track, and has the tracking ability.

I'm sure you already know, the main reason for most GPSs (on bikes) is the mapping feature. The models mentioned do not map, so you must know how to use a GPS (similar to a compass at that point).

I use a Foretrex for racing, as it's the smallest and can guage average speed and has a large enough display for highway speed (as it's limited to 60mph in SCORE racing).

For occasional use, the foretrex can get you out of a bind... but that's one elaborate alum. housing for a discontinued product from Garmin. Super clean idea... and very nice. :) But too elaborate when the 60 series works perfect.

How about more on the mount, switches, buttons and what the heck it's all used for?! Very curious. (and I thought I was made fun of all too often for "Busy" bars!!)

:D

It's a ForeTrex101, aaa batteries, I turn it on only to pull a grid.

You can still get them at REI and Amazon, so I don't believe they've been discontinued.

The moving maps are nice, when you're walking, but even if I could see something that small, I couldn't while riding.

Give it another 10-15 years your eyes will go too.

Hey, I thought my bars were clean.

Sorry if I wasn't clear last post;

The foretrex 201 is disco'd (also not on the Garmin site).... never used the 101, as it didn't have the features I was looking for when I purchased one.

And yes... my eyes, almost gone... on their way. Found out early last year. Actually, not bad ... but, the details are not there, and I can't see barbed-wire from a distance (Very Bad!).

Your mount is super clean as mentioned. Bars are also super clean... the look and feel I'm going back to somewhat this weekend. Give us more detail on your setup.... like I said, it's pretty cool.

:)

Hey, Thanks Dan.

I don't think I'm allowed to say too much without sounding like advertising.

What kind of detail are you looking for?

Switches do power, lights h/l, kill, starter and horn so far. Two are still open. One LED indicator is still open, thinking of wiring it up to light if the battery drops to 9-10 volts. Put them all in so I wouldn't have to redo the harness when I add something.

FYI, Johnny, just read your first post again, you’ve got at least 1 Stanford dude rolling in his grave and another that would pop you on side your head, a GPS without mapping is just like a compass, a compass that will pinpoint your location on a globe of 500,000,000 square km to within a few meters! You kill me.

Back in the day when BFG just came out with way points along with the tulips on the pit maps, my Trimble had 2 lines of data on the lcd, you’d sit there on the intercom saying, standby for a left.... start looking left.... turn, turn, turn!

Now you get a file.

pttbrktthad00.jpg

Making this for a KTM bud, cleaning up his bars, PTT w/RCA jack.

Yes... thanks Dan.

I must have missed the first post about the Vapor and Paul's new Ace.... And the 'other' link will surely help out too. As I could also use some one-off parts that could be ... selling to other users of said same products. :D (hint hint)

And yes... I know (GPS, compass...blah blah), I do quite often spout out some pretty inaccurate terms that are honestly just to downplay such devices or products. I know, and you know... a non-mapping GPS isn't JUST a compass.... but, you got the idea. :banghead:

With all that said, and my re-clarifying again (:) seems like I've been doing a lot lately)... pretty cool "system".

I've never liked the Vapor (hence I took it off and sold it) and had always looked into other computer/speedo units when I found another company (can't remember the name, but they are in Oceanside, CA ... they make stators too...etc) that I was a bit interested in doing research on and never got around to it. As I simply don't like to run a plate and hit the streets too often, and never found a quality computer/speedo that seemed to hold up to severe abuse off-highway.

How long have you had the Ace?? And is it holding up well (dumb question?! :ride:)

(and I think 'the' site is helping me understand some of what's going on here - as well as that last thread link)

I sure could use a PTT connector holder for my bike (I don't use the RCA style however, I use the Nexus Phono plug style). I use criss-crossed zip ties now to hold it. Kinda bogus. I see other guys using electrical clamps (like used for flex) or similar. It works, but it's not "clean". Maybe we should take some of this to email?!

:worthy:

Yes... thanks Dan.

And yes... I know (GPS, compass...blah blah), I do quite often spout out some pretty inaccurate terms that are honestly just to downplay such devices or products. I know, and you know... a non-mapping GPS isn't JUST a compass.... but, you got the idea. :D

Maybe we should take some of this to email?!

:)

I know what you were getting at, I just couldn't help it. But that's why the GPS mostly stays in the pack, and this mt comes off with 2 screws.

I just got out of prison and technically I'm still on probation (Open Rotator cuff surgery), went riding in the woods Sunday, the Acewell is holding up fine for what I'm putting it through, jurys still out. My quads are killing me though!

You can get the Ace though Electrosport or Service Honda, but please, let's not talk about stators again.

What do you have in mind, the PPT I will be making for Honda's too. I'm always interested in good ideas. You need to play nice, I could be wrong, but you seem to shoot first ask questions later, I'm just starting out, for me that could be bad for business.

I know what you were getting at, I just couldn't help it. But that's why the GPS mostly stays in the pack, and this mt comes off with 2 screws.

I'm teased often... thick skin helps. :)No worries.

I just got out of prison and technically I'm still on probation (Open Rotator cuff surgery), went riding in the woods Sunday, the Acewell is holding up fine for what I'm putting it through, jurys still out. My quads are killing me though!

ohh... ouch (sorry to hear). Well, we'll for sure see in it's evident future now won't we?!

You can get the Ace though Electrosport or Service Honda, but please, let's not talk about stators again.

That's it!! Electrosport! ... in Oceanside. I knew the Ace looked familiar. Nice to see someone using one. They are a cool company, that I don't think gets enough attention (lack of marketing or advertising).

What do you have in mind, the PPT I will be making for Honda's too. I'm always interested in good ideas. You need to play nice, I could be wrong, but you seem to shoot first ask questions later, I'm just starting out, for me that could be bad for business.

Not sure just yet. But PM me your email and I'll send over some pictures of what I need to "correct". I'd have 10 of 'em sold today if I just had the right fix for the problem. I know it's not going to buy a new car... but, the ideas are always flowing at the Jensen Garage of Gadgets. :D

me in bold above ^^^

Im mucking around with GPS's at the mo on my bike.

Trialling a 3.5" car navigator hacked with OziCE for a total cost of $240 Aussie.

Can put any maps I want on it, just gotta get some more protection for it before I flip the bike again....

CopyofDSC04146.jpg

Im mucking around with GPS's at the mo on my bike.

Trialling a 3.5" car navigator hacked with OziCE for a total cost of $240 Aussie.

Can put any maps I want on it, just gotta get some more protection for it before I flip the bike again....

CopyofDSC04146.jpg

"Car navigation" usually means.... 'not waterproof'. :D

Which also means... not dust proof, not shock proof...etc.etc.

... tested that yet?! :)

I had a Garmin Etrex venture (shown in the picture) and now am running a Garmin Etrex Legend (same features except the Legend will do auto-routing on paved roads). It works great for laying a track to get back to civilization if I get lost or when I am in an area with a lot of intersecting trails, I can see which trails I have been on and which I have not.

I run it off batteries (don't ask about my failed hardwire attempt) and have had no problems with vibration, mud, moisture, or water so far.

IMAGE_213.jpg

"Car navigation" usually means.... 'not waterproof'. :D

Which also means... not dust proof, not shock proof...etc.etc.

... tested that yet?! :)

Yea actually I have

1200 ks of dirt n dust & a 50k/hr flipout on it without ill effect. No doubt it will break if I leave mounted as is where is, but like i said, I'm just mucking around with it.

If I like(& Im starting to) then I'll machine a better housing & shock mounting for it.