Sign in to follow this  

smoking

I did a search and was unable to find anything that answers my question. So last weekend my cousin and I went for a ride (he just finished topend rebuild on his xr600) and he got stuck on a hill lost his footing and the bike laid down on its side he picked it back up tried ti start it a few times fluded from tiping over finally started it and now all it does is smokes when he tries to give it gas it dies. could it have sucked oil up past the rings? since it was its first ride and only had about an hour on it I think the dieing problem is carb related from sitting for 2 months without fuel in it. any ideas on what to do would be great to hear thanks.

IT can't be anything major if its just a lay-over and nothing major or serious (Can't think of any extreme fall that would cause anything severe?) ...even if a little oil did get into the combustion chamber. It'll burn out and be fine. you may need a new plug if the old one get fouled.

My guess...with a wet sump motor if its on a hill on its side and any chance that oil pooled up under the piston while it still cycled a few times its possible that it seeped into the chamber.

I'd get a fresh plug...take apart the carb and clean it (just because its been sitting) and he'll be fine...but treat the new build right so it last ya'll another 30-40K miles :)