Sign in to follow this  

Help a Gal out! :)

Hi all!!

I have a question, that I am hoping someone will know the answer to!

Ok, I ride a crf150r expert and my suspension is getting really soft, a buddy of ours told my hubby that we could put a air hose to the bottom of my reawr shock absorber to add some.... sooo, what do you all think? Thanks so much!! :)

False....

If your suspension is getting spongy, have your hubby tear both ends down and service them, or if he does not know how, find a someone that does

I dont know about that, but have you thought about having the suspension redone for your size and type of riding?

I think they are nitrogen filled.

That will NOT work. The shock on your CRF150R is charged with high pressure Nitrogen. If your suspension is getting soft you may need to re-spring and possibly re-valve your shock and your forks for that matter.

I hope this was helpful:thumbsup:

no! no! no!... thats not air in there its nitrogen ! take you bike to a suspension shop and get it set up for you..

Shock takes nitrogen, a specific pressure, 142 psi for showa units Putting air in a shock is very dangerous it could explode on you with use :)

If the suspension was fine before, and it getting soft, you need to put some fresh fluids in it.

Shock takes nitrogen, a specific pressure, 142 psi for showa units Putting air in a shock is very dangerous it could explode on you with use :D

If the suspension was fine before, and it getting soft, you need to put some fresh fluids in it.

+1 great advice :) go with good fluid like silkolene

You need a firmer spring and probably some valving, and definitely do not mess with the shock if you don't know what you are doing. Quick way to get killed.

Don't touch the nitrogen pressure!

Your CRF150R suspension has five adjustments.

Fork Compression damping - bottom of fork

Fork Rebound damping - top of fork

Shock Compression damping - top of shock

Shock Rebound damping - bottom of shock

Shock Spring Pre-load for race sag adjustment.

The very first thing you do is set your rear sag to 85mm as outlined on page 104 in your owner's manual. Then you can make adjustments to the compression and rebound clickers. I'd suggest you increase the compression damping front and back by two clicks. That's two clicks clockwise on the adjusters on top of both the shock and the top of the shock. This will make the suspension firmer.

Agreed take the shocks and forks in to get serviced to your weight and riding style. And never take advice from your hubby's buddy. His advice should come with a "surgeon generals warning".

Listen to CamP, look at his gas gauge under his name. He has a full tank meaning he gives good advise. Everyone else is trying to get you to spend ( no, waste) money.

Don

Don't touch the nitrogen pressure!

Your CRF150R suspension has five adjustments.

Fork Compression damping - bottom of fork

Fork Rebound damping - top of fork

Shock Compression damping - top of shock

Shock Rebound damping - bottom of shock

Shock Spring Pre-load for race sag adjustment.

The very first thing you do is set your rear sag to 85mm as outlined on page 104 in your owner's manual. Then you can make adjustments to the compression and rebound clickers. I'd suggest you increase the compression damping front and back by two clicks. That's two clicks clockwise on the adjusters on top of both the shock and the top of the shock. This will make the suspension firmer.

Mabey now that your riding /getting more comfortable with this bike... your just riding more aggressive. And figuring that you need to adjust your suspension to fit your more aggressive riding.

It's free too!!!

don't forget to inform your buddy that putting air in a shock is very wrong, with the exeption of a few BMWs and Fox air shocks from the 70s

Agreed take the shocks and forks in to get serviced to your weight and riding style. And never take advice from your hubby's buddy. His advice should come with a "surgeon generals warning".

LOL! Well, it came from a suspension tech in Florida that we use, he told him to tell me that. We knew that it had nitrogen in it, but the tech said it would be fine to fill it up with air, and that it just won't last at all... I should have told you all that in the beginning :)... Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing or recommending this:confused:

thanks fellas! :D

LOL! Well, it came from a suspension tech in Florida that we use, he told him to tell me that. We knew that it had nitrogen in it, but the tech said it would be fine to fill it up with air, and that it just won't last at all... I should have told you all that in the beginning :)... Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing or recommending this:confused:

thanks fellas! :D

You need a new tech if he instructed you to put compressed air in your shock. No reputable suspension tech would ever tell someone to do that. Hopefully he didn't touch your valving while he was in there.

I know nothing about MX suspension, but air...hmmm I know mt bikes you can do that. But isn't there a big warning label on the rear shock about things like this. I think its kinda funny. (not if someone got hurt though) So is there any modern MX bikes that you would put air into the suspension.

They use nitrogen in the rear shock for the same reason they use it in the tires of formula one race cars..... It does not expand that much when it gets hot. Now, lets think about this for a minute.... If you had air in your shock, or even a mixture of air and nitrogen, your shock, as it warmed up would be inconsistant due to the temp induced change in gas pressure.

You need a new tech if he instructed you to put compressed air in your shock. No reputable suspension tech would ever tell someone to do that. Hopefully he didn't touch your valving while he was in there.

You should if you can, learn about your suspension . Basic stuff like what it takes to service your shock and forks, your adjustments comp/reboun/high /low speed. I thank its the best investmentment time/money wise if you do!:)