Sign in to follow this  

tough throttle pull

I just purchased at 05 CRF 450 and noticed that the throttle is pretty hard to pull and would stick. I changed the cables and it didn't get better. I then took the plastic piece out of the throttle housing and that stopped it from sticking but is still hard to pull. I also check the carb and that seemed to work fine. I pulled the throttle tube off of the handle bar and it still did it so it was nothing sticking under the tube. I rode my buddys 06 today and his throttle is as easy to pull as the one that was on my CR 250. Does anybody have any suggestions?

i found after i put my new pro taper handle bars on my throttle went tight too. i cleaned out the inside of my throttle tibe and sure enough. paint that was rubbing off the new bars was making the surface sticky and making my throttle stiff. i cleaned out out with a rag and oil the handlebar a bit and bam! deadly throttle once again.

Did you check that it's not pushed in too far? That will bind the cable and make it hard to pull and stick on return. Push it in all the way and back it off about a 1/16 and it should work if there isn't a problem with the new cable.

When the throttle action gets rough it's usually because the throttle tube is worn out. A few times a year, I go down to the local Honda shop and buy a new $15 throttle tube. When assembling the throttle spray a little silicone spray lube inside the new throttle tube and you should have like new action again.

I agree with shawn, dont overtighten the cables, that will cause them to bind a little creating tough throttle action. And hes right about getting a new throttle tube, properly adjusted cables and new throttle tubes make for easy pull on the right hand. That sounds wrong but you get the point.

For new throttle tubes I usually buy the ODI lock on grips. I like them because they are slightly larger in diameter than regular grips, they are soft and comfy and they come with the grip already attached to the throttle tube. I tend to replace my throttle tubes on a fairly regular basis so by the time my grips are worn its nice to have a new throttle tube on there as well.

i found resistance in mine one day......here is was the route they made under the tank/along the frame was not the best possible route for them..........find the best possible route for them and run a whole can of silicone through them.......unless they are few years old then just buy some t-2's from motion pro

Use brake clean, and run the cables dry do not use any lube. Sand the bar and the inside of the throttle tube lightly so it's clean and smooth, then spray the cables with brake cleaner and spray the area where the cables attach to the carb too. Make sure the cables are routed parallel to each other and are not binding any where, dab some grease on the cable ends only and install.

Make sure your grips are installed properly too, I have seen so many bikes where the grips are rubbing the bars or areas that they should not be in contact with and gives you that stiff feeling.

i had a real sticky throttle, it would hang up and not retract immediately...the trick was to rinse some wd-40 down the lines...now throttle nice and snappy, full retraction....make sure cables not pinch under tank or otherwise..

later