Not sure if I should restore my bike

I have a 71 Yamaha RT1-B and it's in really pretty good shape but definately not perfect. I wanted to get some opinions on if it's better to have a good looking all original bike with imperfections, or is it better to go through and do a total restore and make it look like new? Do you think people want original or restored? and what happens to the value of the bike. Anyway I thought it would be interesting to see what people think. Also I would post a picture of my bike if I could figure it out(I'll keep trying).

Are you looking to flip this bike for top dollar? Or are you looking to restore it for a fun project? If you're looking to sell it, I couldn't tell ya what would be the best course of action. If you like owning the bike and just want to give it a little TLC, I say go ahead! Whether you go bare frame restoration, or just a little prettyin' up, I guarantee you'll have fun doing it and you'll probably meet and make new freinds that you otherwise would never meet! I hope you throw some pics up, It'd be cool to see before and after shots, No?

Good luck,

Bert

Are you looking to flip this bike for top dollar? Or are you looking to restore it for a fun project? If you're looking to sell it, I couldn't tell ya what would be the best course of action. If you like owning the bike and just want to give it a little TLC, I say go ahead! Whether you go bare frame restoration, or just a little prettyin' up, I guarantee you'll have fun doing it and you'll probably meet and make new freinds that you otherwise would never meet! I hope you throw some pics up, It'd be cool to see before and after shots, No?

Good luck,

Bert

I agree 100% ?

I'm definately not interested in selling the bike, I owned it for about two years and have had a lot of fun getting it running and shining it up. I guess my main question is do people in general prefer an original bike with defects over restored. Lets say my tank for example it has minor dings and scratches but nothing major, if I were to get it proffesionally repainted, would it increase the value of the bike or do most people want to see the original paint. I do like saying my bike for the most part is original, but every now and then I see a bike like mine that has been nicely restored and it does make me think about how nice it could be. Again I'll try and post a picture or two in the next day or two.

I have a 72 DT2 that is all original, in good shape. I just can't see restoring this one. They are only original once and I like the fact that it has character.

I also have a 71 RT1B, and a 73 RT3. These are not in original, unmolested condition and I have no problem with doing what needs to be done to them.

Guess it depends on what you want. Shiny, and worried about getting it dirty, or scratching it.. Or the ability to ride without so much of a worry..

I'm definately not interested in selling the bike, I owned it for about two years and have had a lot of fun getting it running and shining it up. I guess my main question is do people in general prefer an original bike with defects over restored. Lets say my tank for example it has minor dings and scratches but nothing major, if I were to get it proffesionally repainted, would it increase the value of the bike or do most people want to see the original paint. I do like saying my bike for the most part is original, but every now and then I see a bike like mine that has been nicely restored and it does make me think about how nice it could be. Again I'll try and post a picture or two in the next day or two.

It's a dirt bike, not a Model T or a 64 Corvette, right?

I think if you have a dent-free tank, one that's been repainted decently and another that's totally original, neither one has any rust, they're worth the same.

Now if you have the same tank, with some wear and tear, but doesn't look like a piece of junk, it's worth more than a rusty original paint job that is worthless.

If you want it to look new again, repaint it. If it's got rust damage, fix the rust and repaint.

Dents and dings are badges of honor, which as long as they're not a safety hazard (leaks gas) and not covered in rust, don't have a huge effect on resale.

Crappy paint and rust IMHO, do. Although some people like Rat bikes.

Now as far as all orignal, looks like it rolled off the show room floor and into a piece of tupperware, only to be removed yesterday, finding that kind of buyer is hard who wants a totally original looking restoraton AND will pay for it.

Have fun, do it any way you like, because shining it up will ad value, but don't expect a bike that looks like a million bucks will sell for even a hundred grand.

DGXR, you have a very good point.

I'm working on making road-legal an XT550 even though I probably won't ride it on the road. (I need mirrors and an inspection sticker right now) It's the expectation that maybe, just maybe I may need to ride it to work, or the even more remote possibility that I'll find someplace to ride and won't need to trailer it that is motivating me.

But you know what? It sure looks a hundred times better with ceramic coated pipes and a decent seat that weren't necessary to make it safe.

b4aftercompositeag3.th.jpg

If it is fairly nice keep it original. I have been working on bikes for several collectors for years now and mostly they prefer originals. Also as far as value goes you can never come close to getting your money back after doing a ground up resto. RT1 is a piece of history for sure.

wayne

• Experts

I prefer not to major restorations but do a good cleanup as to make it a rider.

I sometimes replace fenders or Paint fenders, replace seat covers, If the tank paint is decent , just clean up , if worn badly , Find a painter to repaint exactly as stock. NO CUSTOM PAINT JOBS if you want to keep the value up. I don't usually buy a bike if the frame is in such bad shape that it needs a total sand blast and repaint.

IMO,

Dwight

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t343/bffksim/DSCN2709.jpg

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t343/bffksim/DSCN2707-1.jpg

OK lets see if this works as I'm new to posting pictures, my bike is defiantely nearly all original, besides shining and buffing it up I've only repainted the silver fenders. Believe it or not the bike last ran in 1972. The pictures may not show the defects I'm talking about.

I do like the responses I heard, like the bike is only original once, which is very true, so I think for now I will keep it as is and just do touch up work on it. I sure appreciate the responses.

Very nice.. That is the type of condition my 72 DT2 is in. Glad you have decided to just let it be.. The pictures of yours are so much better to look at for me than one that has been completely restored. It looks like it just wants to go do what it was made for with a big smile and the restored ones just look like a pissed off kid that was forced to wear there Sunday best... But would rather be out playing...

Hope to have mine back from the dead soon...

I ask myself the same question at least once a week. My 83 XL 600 is in very good shape for being 25 years old but it does have some small scratches and dents in the tank and some paint flaking on the engine. Well, 1 quarter size dent in the tank thanks to my brother in-law. From 10 feet away its in sweet condition but once your next to it you see everything. I do like the idea of a nice clean repaint as long as it looks just like original. I'm not dead set on having it showroom condition cause I ride mine on and off road and intend to continue. If I scratch it then oh well, I'll just have to fix it. You do what you want to do with it and don't worry about what people think. It's your bike not theirs to worry about.