Sign in to follow this  

yz250f oil consumption?

Whats up everyone, just bought a used 06 yz250f so I plan on being in here instead of the crf250 forum now:applause: Anyway, the yz has a little peek hole for checking oil which is different than the crf which leads me to my question. When I start it up and let it idle or take it for a little, little ride I come back and look through the peek hole and there is no oil in it. It drips back down over the next 5-8 minutes but I gotta know if this is normal. And also, I filled up the hole all the way to the top, but this was when it was warm and the oil wasnt all the way drained back down. I rode it for another little ride and there was less oil in the peek hole. So what I want to know is that since i put too much in it the reason for the loss is that it just burned off the extra and if I am using the peek hole correctly. Oh yea, where should the oil be when filling up the peek hole? Middle? near top? top?

Your oil level should be to the top of the sight glass when warm. I think it's normal for the oil to take a few seconds to drain back down to the bottom after shut off, there's allot of moving parts slinging oil around, not to mention what's flowing through the system.

what your noticing is dry sump lubrication. it pumps the oil to an external tank, then pumps it back into your engine so you always have oil ready to go back into the engine. its more reliable. then after the engine shuts off, it starts to go back.

as to how to check the oil level, i have no idea, mine had a dip stick, warm up the engine, let it sit a minute, check the stick... that was my routine. but my bike never drank any oil

Your oil level should be to the top of the sight glass when warm. I think it's normal for the oil to take a few seconds to drain back down to the bottom after shut off, there's allot of moving parts slinging oil around, not to mention what's flowing through the system.

So wait, your telling me that when the yz is running it should be filled?

hi,just had a look in the workshop manual and it says

"engine oil level inspection

(1)start the engine,warm it up for several minutes,and then turn off the engine and wait for five minutes

(2)place the machine on a level place and hold it up on upright position by placing the suitable stand under the engine.:) (in other words put it on a stand)

(3)inspect:

oil should be up to the full level in the check window

if level check window is not full add 0.2l (0.18 imp qt, 0.21 US qt)of oil.

i hope this helps,also if you goto the european yamaha website they let you download the workshop manual for free in pdf format,take it easy:thumbsup:

hi,just had a look in the workshop manual and it says

"engine oil level inspection

(1)start the engine,warm it up for several minutes,and then turn off the engine and wait for five minutes

(2)place the machine on a level place and hold it up on upright position by placing the suitable stand under the engine.:) (in other words put it on a stand)

(3)inspect:

oil should be up to the full level in the check window

if level check window is not full add 0.2l (0.18 imp qt, 0.21 US qt)of oil.

i hope this helps,also if you goto the european yamaha website they let you download the workshop manual for free in pdf format,take it easy:thumbsup:

Ok thats what I needed, thanks. I def need a manuel for this bike

So wait, your telling me that when the yz is running it should be filled?

No, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I meant when the engine is warm and shut off, the oil should be just above the top of the glass. I was also trying to explain it takes a few seconds after shut off for the oil to settle.