Sign in to follow this  

Longest WOT?

Whats the longest you can go WOT with out siezing your engine?

Try it and let me know:thumbsup:

ha. ha. ha! Like about..10 secs? 20 secs? I am use to riding 4 strokes and I am getting use to the high revving 2 smokes, but I don't wanna blow my new engine up!

If you run enough premix i would say you could go forever, but then I would think your ratio would have to be like 16:1. I use 32:1, sometimes 28:1 and hold it WOT in the desert for long periods, but I still try to vary it once in a while. I did blow my KX running 40:1 and went WOT for about 5 miles in the desert, I guess that's like 4 or 5 min... I would like some more input on this subject.

Whats the longest you can go WOT with out siezing your engine?

, there is no reason to even wonder such a thing, i like riding too much to blow them up,and then not ride and spend money on such stuff.

What about the hold your finger on the kill switch for a second while WOT...does that trick really help?

If you are running enough oil in your premix you should be able to hold it wide open (under load of course) as long as you want. I always laugh when people tell you 40:1 is enough oil and in the same breath tell you not to hold it wide open for more than a couple seconds or it will blow up. It blows up when being held wide open due to oil starvation, the engine uses up any excess oil that has collected in the bottom end, overheats, and seizes. If you run 20:1 or lower you can go wide open a long time. When Carmichael was on a two stroke he ran wide open 90% of the time.

If you are running enough oil in your premix you should be able to hold it wide open (under load of course) as long as you want. I always laugh when people tell you 40:1 is enough oil and in the same breath tell you not to hold it wide open for more than a couple seconds or it will blow up. It blows up when being held wide open due to oil starvation, the engine uses up any excess oil that has collected in the bottom end, overheats, and seizes. If you run 20:1 or lower you can go wide open a long time. When Carmichael was on a two stroke he ran wide open 90% of the time.

would you happen to know what RC's premix ratio was, KJ?

would you happen to know what RC's premix ratio was, KJ?

I can guarantee it was a lot more oil than 40:1. I know years ago (before the fourstroke revolution) I was talking to one of the factory Yamaha mechanics and he told me they were running 20:1 Yamalube 2R. I'm sure most of the factory teams were running between 16:1 and 20:1.

I can guarantee it was a lot more oil than 40:1. I know years ago (before the fourstroke revolution) I was talking to one of the factory Yamaha mechanics and he told me they were running 20:1 Yamalube 2R. I'm sure most of the factory teams were running between 16:1 and 20:1.

wow! that's just too much 2T oil from a listener's point of view.

how about if you only trail ride, and much of the time, you baby the bike with throttle control... is 16 to 20 : 1 practical :) ...let's set aside re-jetting and all other else to that effect?

can you comment? gracias, KJ!

Many years ago I ran 40:1 like most people. I read and heard a lot about more oil yielding more powerful, cooler running, longer lasting engines and decided to try it. About 10 years ago I switched to 20:1, rejetted appropriately and never looked back. My engine performance and longevity improved. I would run engines for 80 hours and tear them down and there wouldn't even be any carbon buildup on the top of the piston, it looked like the engine had just been put together. I have run this mixture with 85s, 125s, 250s, stock motors and full blown mod motors. My father has been running it in his YZ250s for as long as I have with the same great success. No spooge problems, no performance problems at all. The key is jetting it right.

wow! that's just too much 2T oil from a listener's point of view.

Hmmm....do we listen to the Yammie factory team wrenches & riders like Carmichael, or some annonymous poster?

Hmmm...that's a tough one. :)

No spooge problems, no performance problems at all. The key is jetting it right.

What did you have to change in your jetting to "get it right" for a 20:1 mix?

Just curious, in case I decide to try this.

How much would you have to drop your jetting on a 125? I currently run Yamalube 32:1 2T

jesus.... 20:1. are you gonna have any gas with that oil? that's like a whole quart of pre-mix every time i ride.

What did you have to change in your jetting to "get it right" for a 20:1 mix?

Just curious, in case I decide to try this.

I normally keep the same needle, I just change the main and pilot accordingly. I also use a zip-ty extended air screw so I can adjust the pilot with my fingers every time I ride. I don't remember exact numbers off the top of my head, as I haven't ran a stock two stroke in a few years. My current two stroke has a full pro circuit motor and a modified carb., and I haven't really ridden that bike much since I race four strokes. Exact numbers don't really matter since it is different for every temperature, humidity, and elevation.

Id say you have to go a little richer as the oil particles are larger than the fuel particles, in turn crowding through lean jets would not yield enough petrol :D So in order to get the correct air/fuel mixture, you'd have to richen up a touch.. :)

BTW, IMO, 20:1 is silly :worthy: Just playin!!

Oh ya? Well I know this guy who knows this guy who had a cousin who ran 120:1 10W40 Quaker State in his Sherco trials bike back in the '70s..........

Just sayin':p

I use 32:1 on the trails and feel good about it too.:)

I run 32:1 and for average riders thats a good amount. The closer the ration of gas to oil the larger the jets since less Gasoline is actually making its way into the engine. Ironically you can sieze and engine from too much oil. If youre jumping from 40:1 to 20:1 there will be a large diff but if its 32:1 to 24:1 its not as much of a jump up. I run a 10 main for desert and motocross and its working really well for me especially since I spend extended periods of time at or near WFO.