Sign in to follow this  

Brand new dirt rider, need advice

I'm looking around for an offroad bike, and have zero dirt experience, save for trail riding on the supermotos with road tires. (been riding on the street for 16 years now) I know I want to go with a 4-stroke because of maintenance and power delivery that I'm used to. Here's where I need some help, I'm kind of a big deal (I mean guy), 6'4" and running about 260 right now. Would a 250 4-stroke not be enough for me to have fun on, or something I'd learn to ride on and outgrow quickly? Should I not even think about the 250 and look for a 450? Type of riding I'm thinking of mostly doing is trail stuff, with a bit of track thrown in so I can learn how to do all that type of stuff too. Thanks!

the 250f would do fine!! jus t keep in mind that you are gonna need stiffer springs because of your weight. i have a 250f and im 6 foot 220 pounds. i do fine on it.. what bikes have you been looking at?

i would actually seriously consider the husky TE 310 and KTM 400 EXC-R, both inbetween bikes between the 450's (which can be brutal for a beginner) and a 250F (which at your size you will outride in no time)

in any case you will need at least stiffer springs to start with, and in due time a suspention re valve wouldn't hurt either, (keep in mind the husky 310 and KTM 400 are both 2009 bikes, if your not looking to buy new both of these are out (you can find an older KTM 400 EXC with the old RFS engine however, which are excelent bikes as well))

I haven't looked at anything yet, just the initial poking around on craigslist. I've seen a couple crf250s for good prices. How about a drz400e? Too heavy to have fun on?

Decided to go with a DRZ400E. Found a local one for a good price. Thanks!