Sign in to follow this  

Fork Seal Question

Can you replace forks springs on the SM forks without replacing the seals?

2008 SM @ 700miles

If you removed the center bolt from the damper, push rod, the dust seal and seal ring, removed the inner cartridge, carefully slid the outer tube down....any chance of spring removal at this stage? This type of fork is still new to me, so Im still learning. The seals look great and I would rather not pay someone to do it for me.

Can you replace forks springs on the SM forks without replacing the seals?

If you removed the center bolt from the damper, push rod, the dust seal and seal ring, removed the inner cartridge, carefully slid the outer tube down....any chance of spring removal at this stage? This type of fork is still new to me, so Im still learning. The seals look great and I would rather not pay someone to do it for me.

Yes, you can replace the springs without replacing the seals. I did so last last weekend. You should, however go ahead and replace all the fork oil which means taking the cartridge apart, too. Oh, and don't bother taking off the dust-seal and snap ring. Just clean the fork tube well before you start.

Check out this video (though don't follow it when it says to remove the seals!):

Though, I couldn't get the cartridge back together using the method in the video. Instead, I

* poured in the measured amount of fork oil

* cycled the damping rod down and up a few times to get out any air

* raised the rod up

* put in the shims/spring assembly

* lowered the damping rod while pushing down on the shim/springs (lowering the rod kind of sucks the assembly into the cartridge)

* and finally pushed down on the fork cap while rotating to get it to started threading.

You might also watch this video:

And this post may be helpful: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493130

The fork oil capacities are:

OUTER...350 ml(11.830/12.324 US/Imp oz)

INNER....182 ml(6.152/6.408 US/Imp oz)

I highly recommend a helper with good upper-body strength and a bench clamp. And buy too much fork oil. If you've never done it before, you might do some of the idiotic things I did and end up wasting a lot of oil.

Hey thanks for the links to the videos, gotta love you tube.....I plan on going to a heavier in the forks as well.

I plan on going to a heavier in the forks as well.

I used Bel*Ray 10wt fork oil, and I'm thinking I might have been better off with something lighter. I'll probably try that at some point, but I've done enough M&R on the bike for now, I need to spend more time riding it!