Sign in to follow this  

RM250 Transmission Problem...

Hey everyone, I would like to know if any one can maybe help me identify what might be my problem... When the bike is running, it will shift from 1st to 3rd gear, and then jam in 3rd as if the motor just seized... And then takes like 5-10 minutes to unjam the tranny by jiggling the shifter. Or sometimes when the bike is not running, and I just shift it into 1st-3rd gear, it doesn't want to shift up or down any more, it stays jammed there... There is no more 4th and 5th??:D I maybe thought it was a shift fork?... I was told that the motor lacked of tranny oil and broke because of that... But when I checked the oil level it was at 500ml instead of 750ml(not a big difference) so I kind of think that the oil isn't guilty ... What do you think?:)

My 00 RM250 has had MAJOR tranny problems recently as well.

Drain the tranny oil and look for metal in it. If there are a lot of metal in there that is not a good sign.

Pull off the side case cover and inspect the shift mechanism (I had to remove the clutch and clutch basket as well to get a good view of the shift mechanism). Apparently a common problem is that the screw connecting the index mechanism to the shifter will back out. Hopefully your problem is here.

If there is no problem here you have internal tranny problems which means you have to remove the engine from the bike, remove the top end, and split the cases. Be prepared to spend a lot of money for parts if it gets to this point.

In the case of my bike, 4th gear broke a tooth and the tooth jammed in the shift drum, making it so I could only get to 2nd gear. While the tranny was apart I found many other gears that were worn out. So far this tranny nonsense is costing me near $500 and that is doing the majority of the work myself:censored: :):D

Not sure what it is, but Suzuki gear boxes are kinds knows for beind weak. The metalurgy is not very good compared to Honda for example, infact it seems to be the worst. I wonder why? I am definitly running a mag plug in mine.

Everytime I pull the magnetic plug on my 250 there is metal stuck to it. When I split the cases everything looked really clean and every now and the I will hit a false nuetral between 2nd and 3rd.

Moto mans problem doesnt sound good at all, more like the dogs are all torn up and out of sync.

A shift dog is provided to engage and disengage rotatable members or gears in the transmission. It is what is used to "select" or engage the gears.

A collar has teeth on both sides and it can slide along a shaft to select one of two gears. Teeth on the collar, called are called dog teeth. You can see it in purple below. How stuff works has some good graphical examples on this, like the one below.

transmission-simple-2.gif

See I thought it was the engagement gear, but its actually the collar on the engagement gear. My bad

Alright, I took it all apart... And two gears in the transmission were trashed. It seems to be the 4th gear driven, and the 4th gear Drive... I went to check on bikebandit.com for these parts, and I'm having trouble... My bike is a 2003, so I check up in the transmission section for my bike and I find the parts I need.... But The problem is that for 4th gear Driven, there are two part numbers for it. In the micro fiche , 4th gear driven is numbered as #17. But when I look on the parts list, #17 is there twice... So my question is, which one do i take??

UH OH!

I had the same problem with parts for my 250. take the gear to your dealer and order it from there. make sure they order both #s and you pay for the one that matches.

I don't know what the hell is up with Suzuki microfiche but a part should have one part number. the year of the microfiche shoudl ONLY have that years part numbers on it. Nope not suzuki. Often I find parts in a year for other years but not the year I am actually looking at. The most consufing, easy to order the wrong part microfiche for sure. Just did it infact, bought $120 worth of bar rebber mounbts that were the wrong one due to this exact issue. I think it is part of a revenue generating program. Increase confusion, increase revenue. Like block Buster used to do.