Sign in to follow this  

my new bike

well I just got home with my new 2008 ktm 200xc leftover. It's so pretty and my first new bike. It's one of the last 08's around and I wanted to get one before they were gone so i didn't have to pay the price increase. The deal was that my parents would pay half if I don't race it till next season since they just put a lot of money into my rm125.:):D I took that opportunity. When I was riding it around the yard tonight i noticed a clanking sound by the swingarm every time i hit the gas. It's the chain right? And for you guys that have 200s, what mods should i do to make it just right while im waiting to race it. Thanks! Here's pics.

runningandagp507.jpg

runningandagp506.jpg

runningandagp505.jpg

• Like 1

ryan

nice scoot! pretty good power increase over your 125 huh?? i love my 06 200.....crazy fast

besides the obvious stuff like dialing the suspension, checking the tire pressure ect...you can adjust the power valve. i would ride the bike some and see how you like the power delivery. the power valve is very adjustable and easy to do (check the manual). you can speed up or delay the "hit" on your power band depending on your riding style. dialing it in made a huge difference for me. :)

what type of racing are you doing?

as far as the clanking goes...not sure. check all your nuts and bolts on the swing arm and shock and make sure they are good and tight. your chain does look to be a tad on the tight side. :D

oh and since this your first brand new bike... make sure you tear the bike down and grease it up. ie- steering stem wheel bearings, swingarm, ect. For some reason the factory, and this goes for all makes not just ktm, does not grease them very well if at all. my 2007 yz250f, i bought brand new a few years ago, was bone dry from the factory.

check out the links in the pinned thread at the top of this forum. Lots of good info there.:)

Are you straping the kickstand up using that rubber bungy when you ride. I noticed that my kickstand on my 300 was making noises in the choppy/rooty trails. Bungy it up and the noise may go away. I think the spring isn't strong enough to keep it from moving and it bounces around when it gets rough.

fast- as fast as any 250 smoker IMO. the power band hits hard and revs to the moon. some people mess with the gearing or add weight to the fly wheel to mellow out the hit! i just adjusted the power valve to control the power a little better. the sixth gear is clutch in the wide open stuff. for mx the suspension may be a bit soft. i put stiffer springs on mine becasue i ride a mix of outdoor mx and trails + i'm 6'2" 200 lbs

yz400man is right- it is probably your kick stand making the racket. IMO lose that kick stand or at lest bungy it up if you are going to race. i had the kick stand on a wr450 that i had come down when i bottomed in a rut @ speed. the damn thing stuck in the ground, stopped me dead and i went for a ride over the bars. :)

oh and since this your first brand new bike... make sure you tear the bike down and grease it up. ie- steering stem wheel bearings, swingarm, ect. For some reason the factory, and this goes for all makes not just ktm, does not grease them very well if at all. my 2007 yz250f, i bought brand new a few years ago, was bone dry from the factory.

Actually, in my experience, ktm does a great job of greasing everything, and it's a waste of time (unless you just like the peace of mind) to worry about it. All the japanese bikes I've bought new have been pretty much dry, but the wheel bearings and swingarm at least have been well-lubed on every ktm i've owned (4, including my husaberg).

fwiw, I have never even once looked at the steering head bearings on a ktm. My 300 chugged along happily for 14,000 hard offroad miles before I sold it with no issues.

For the OP, I recommend taking the shock off, and very carefully unscrewing the preload adjuster collar, then putting a little antiseize or chainwax or something on it. Many people (including me) found that collar came bone dry from the factory and then kinda stuck to the threads a bit, and gacked up the threads slightly when I went to increase the preload. DONT use the hammer and screwdriver method of turning that wring. Once you take it off and lube it, you should be able to turn it by hand (with the bike on a stand) without too much trouble.

The noise is the chain slapping the chain slider on the swingarm. I think there is a fix for it but mine doesn't do it enough to have ever worried about it.

from the pictures your chain looks very tight for a ktm. is it adjustabed properly?

nice bike! were did you say you lived again? ill be over to pick it up in 10 minutes!! haha sweet bike..good things it a 2stroke..and a ktm haha best mix ever!!

KTM chains are supposed to be much looser than the Jap bikes and the chains slap against the slider. It's perfectly normal. Congrats on the new scoot!

fast- as fast as any 250 smoker IMO. the power band hits hard and revs to the moon. some people mess with the gearing or add weight to the fly wheel to mellow out the hit! i just adjusted the power valve to control the power a little better. the sixth gear is clutch in the wide open stuff. for mx the suspension may be a bit soft. i put stiffer springs on mine becasue i ride a mix of outdoor mx and trails + i'm 6'2" 200 lbs

yz400man is right- it is probably your kick stand making the racket. IMO lose that kick stand or at lest bungy it up if you are going to race. i had the kick stand on a wr450 that i had come down when i bottomed in a rut @ speed. the damn thing stuck in the ground, stopped me dead and i went for a ride over the bars. :)

are the stock springs ok for mx if i am 5' 10'' and 155

I'm jealous!

I have an 08' 300 but something keeps telling me I should have taken a closer look at the 200 as well. I gotta find a couple year old one this winter......

That 08' is sweet Dude!

Ride it like.....You stole it!

It's your chain most likely. Look down at it while you gas it lightly and you will see it jump and hit the plastic slider block. To really pin it down take the heal of your riding boot and put it gently against the side of the moving chain while you are riding and you will be able to stop the noise. After you know it is just chain slap it doesnt matter anymore.

you should be ok for mx @ that weight with the stock springs. you can probably dial it in with the clickers. just take it around the track a few times and see if it bottoms out easily.

make sure to set your sag also. ktms like more sag than jap bikes. 115-120 mm. also, don't use a punch or screw driver to adjust the rear shock collar like on your rm. with the bike on a stand you should be able to turn it by hand. :)

oh and you should probably loosen the chain up some. nothing quite like a really punchy 2-stroke with an overtightened chain!