Sign in to follow this  

09 klx 250 high altitude

rode our new 09 klx 250 in lake tahoe ca. area 6000-7000 feet elevation.. power dropped ..anyone done the changes to jetting for higher elevations 0n these new models..owners manual states there are actual mods that can be done by dealerships..for higher elevation..talked to a dealership in carson city nevada, no help at all...love the bike , needs a little more gitty-up, also thinking of gear /sprocket changes, any recomendation.???

http://www.thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm

I have not done this mod on my KLX yet, but I put a couple of TPI valves in my airbox lids. As I ascend in altitude, I open them up for more air, and then close them again as I descend. Above 9,000', I just pull the lid off altogether.

This system works very well! You can either rejet by decreasing the amount of fuel or increasing the amount of air....which do you think is easier to do out on the trail????

The KLX had a flat airbox lid and it's on the top, so this just might work well for it. The downside with a dirt bike (vs a quad), is that the seat is bolted down and it isn't easy to get to the lid to do the adjustments on the fly.