Sign in to follow this  

Flooded?

OK, I should know this by now but I am also fairly new to 4 strokes and my bike (06 525) always starts flawless. Current starting procedure....open choke/gas and twist thr throttle like twice and hit the button. Sometimes though in the past it wouldnt start right away so I would twist throttle a few more times....even still once in a while I would still have problems so I would crack throttle all the way and that at the very least would always work, I think I did smething wrong cause it started today and ran for a minute then quit. No matter what I did after that it wouldnt start. I was trying all kinds of things and pretty sure I simply flooded it but? So, Whats the official "proper" starting procedure and how do I really know if I flooded it...and if I did what the best thing to do if flooded?

Usually you will smell raw gas at the mufler or you can pull the plug and see if it is wet. If it is wet, crank the motor over with the plug out to clear the cylinder. Put in a new plug and see if it will start.

When you twist the throttle, you are shooting raw gas from the AP into the intake track. I personelly alway try to start mine without twisting the throttle the first time with chock on. If it does not start, then I will twist the throttle one time and hold it open for a second or two. Then I will try starting again with no more throttle movement. If it does not start still (very rare), I take it off choke and try again without throttle. If it still does not start, I will hold the throttle wide open and crank the motor. Beyond that you will be pulling the spark plug or dragging the bike behind another bike trying to bump start it.

Also, if the bike starts and then dies after you do the throttle twist (primming). Most likely the pilot jet is clogged. It has a very tiny hole and even water will clog it. Or if it runs on choke and dies when you take it off choke, the pilot jet is clogged. You can try cleaning it but the best solution is just replace it.

I put a new plug in and still no go, cleaned out the jets and nope. Finally bumped started it and third time was a charm. Fired up and seemingly ran great...then it would shut itself off as if it was out of gas or something. Now it wont start again...what the heck? Could I have bad gas? I know its close to needing the valves adjusted but not horribly late. Bike has been flawless for 2 years now and now I am confused...ideas?

CHECK YOUR VALVE ADJUSTMENT.

What you've discribed is what happens when your valves get outta wack.

Trying to start Get's worse as the days go on.. 2 years is a loong time between checks- do it.

CHECK YOUR VALVE ADJUSTMENT.

What you've discribed is what happens when your valves get outta wack.

Trying to start Get's worse as the days go on.. 2 years is a loong time between checks- do it.

actualy I worded it wrong..the valves where done like 25 hours ago. I am fnatical about regular maintenance. But that was next on the list....I have pretty much eliminated everything else I would guess

actualy I worded it wrong..the valves where done like 25 hours ago. I am fnatical about regular maintenance. But that was next on the list....I have pretty much eliminated everything else I would guess

ok, so you checked your valve clearance. because if you just put in new valves 25hrs ago, and didn't get the seats recut, you could have destroyed your new valves.

or the clearance was shimmed on the tight side, and now they moved a bit somehow and you can't get her started.

its not recommended to run carb cleaner, or put anything hard down the soft brass jet, so I would say, buy a new pilot jet, if your old one was clogged, it wold be very hard to get cleaned.

bad gas also doesn't like to flow through carbs, so drain the gas and put new stuff in.

remember, carb cleaner is hard on rubber, and there are gaskets in keihin carbs that you can't replace

I have to ask this because it happens more than you think.

Have you tried putting the petcock on RES. and not ON? You would be suprised at how many people get them backwards. If you tank is low on gas and you think you have it on RES when it is actually on "ON".

Anyway. Water in the gas can also be the problem. I would drain the tank and the float bowl and put in fresh gas. Also add a couple ounces of rubbing alcohol to the gas to break down any water that might be left in the system.

Make sure all of your vent hoses are not clogged and eliminate the check valve in the gas cap.

I still say replace the pilot jet or at the very least soak it in laquear thinner over night to remove any varnish. Do not poke anything through the hole.

Check to make sure the O-ring is on the fuel screw.

The valves are very important to starting. They should be adjusted at least every 15 hrs.

Let us know what you find.

OK, so the main and pilot jets are clean and there was gas in the float just fine. Took plug off to see spark and nice healthy blue spark. I did put a JDJetting kit in it and one of those fancy fuel screws like 3 rides ago and its been flawless ever since. The only thing I havent done now is adjust the valves thats next I guess.

on a side not...the difference between last ride(ran perfect back then as always) and now is I attached a radiator fan and installed a new aftermkt YTZ battery. I disconnected the fan to see if that might be causing it...nope. Same deal. I sure am hoping its just in dire need of the valves adjusting...however in the past I would always take it to the shop

and they always told me it barely needed the adjustment so thats why I am perplexed as to by it would now be so off that

it would cause it to do this but I am still fairly new to 4 strokes so what do I know.