Sign in to follow this  

Gidday from a Trials newbie in New Zealand!

I've been a long time dirt bike rider, but did a bit of observing at a local event recently and I was hooked on trials!

A good friend of mine has lent me his old Fantic something or rather - 280 2 stroke? to go riding on , but I was wondering if you guys could give me some help:excuseme:

The bike; Aircooled, upside down forks, disc brakes etc, but its pretty well ridden.

I have changed the oil in one of the fork legs as I thought they were performing pretty badly, and it turns out they have no internal springs! I know air forks are not uncommon, but the problem is, when I jump on the bike it sags waaay down to almost half the travel just sitting there!

I upped the oil level to reduce the air gap, but it still sags a lot - does anyone have experience with these things? (Marzocchi by the way)

CHeers guys :)

John

One side is dampening the other is rebound. Spring is in the rebound side. If the spring is getting weak you can replace it or add a small piece of pipe as a spacer.

Greetings to the Forum. How's the riding in NZ? It's a life's dream to visit down there.

-John

Gidday fellas - thanks for the tip on the forks _ I had an old Husky 610 years agao I think that was a similar set up... one leg comp the other rebound! I will clean out the other leg and get it sorted - as for the sprinigs - I might try a spacer too - good tips!

As for riding here in NZ - it's all pretty good if you ask me! I live about 1 hour from the ISDE site from last year so ther's lots of forest and rivers, pumice and volcanic soils.

Here in Hawkes Bay there are a lot of rugged areas due to earthquake activity - but you can have a look at this to give you a feel!

http://www.hawkesbaynz.com/Public_Gallery_3510.aspx Pix are a bit lower down on this page!

Forgot to add..... my buddy wants me to buy this thing for $1000 NZ which is about $700US but I have read a few times on here that the old Fantic may become a boat anchor if it breaks down..... i.e no parts left?

Shall I keep saving for a Beta or GG?

:)

Kia Ora John, Good to see another Kiwi on TT trials. My family dragged me across the ditch to Oz about 20 years ago and still miss NZ. Kumara chips , lemon & Paeroa and hokey pokey ice cream bring back fond memories.

I went through primary school in Wairoa before moving to the Wairarapa for Secondary. Where abouts in Hawkes Bay are you?

If it was me i'd leave the Fantic and get a Modern, post 2000, Beta or GG. Depending on which has the best support. I just got into trials myself on an 04 Rev3 250 (270 this week after a bad case of the rattles) luckily the dealer is only 10 mins away.

Gippsland is where I am now on the SE tip of the Mainland, it's similar to NZ being green and a bit hilly, unlike most of the rest of Australia.

Cheers

Kem

Here's a few pics of the area http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd306/kembro45/

Awesome stuff!

Yeah the Fantic is definitely worn so being a bit fussy over my enduro bike I was thinking of stearing clear, but now I will definitely go elsewhere!

Thanks for tips fellas.

Nice pics Kembro - I'll see if I can get hold of the National Trial champs pics here in Hawke's Bay for you guys!

G'day john the fantic would not be a long term proposition,parts are few & far between good luck with trials kembro what club are you in i'm in oakleigh would have seen you at Glenmaggie

G'day john the fantic would not be a long term proposition,parts are few & far between good luck with trials kembro what club are you in i'm in oakleigh would have seen you at Glenmaggie

Greetings Brian, I am in the Oakleigh Club, but only been able to afford to get to one Practice at Mardan with the club, before the Rev3 developed a terminal rattle. Eating it's bearings after riding for another few tanks. Just got it rebuilt and run in.

I made it over to Glenmaggie for some spectating, it was a great event. Fairly sure I saw you there, or the name rang a bell. Will look out for you next time.

I'm hoping to get to the Hallston Practice day. Family budget is a bit tight at the mo' for taking it too seriously this year:cry: . Just riding for fun, fitness and finesse (helps my skills on and off road on other bikes). Amazes me I learn something new or skills become easier every time I ride, even after 30yrs:ride: .

I'm getting a decent practice area set up on 1 1/2 acres with 30 and 60ft hillclimbs, 5ft drop off's, drums, pallets and tyre obstacles for Sunday sessions with friends. One even has his own bike:applause:

Cheers Kem