Sign in to follow this  

Top Speed for CRF450X

about 95mph I did have Mexican food the day before does that count?:D

with stock gearing :)

with stock gearing :)

Depends on how u receive your bike, they are geared up to pass DOT noise levels & that gearing will probably pull 95 or 100. Most dealers (reputable ones) will gear them down so you don't cruze round town in 1st gear:confused:

Flat out against the stop, stock gearing........with a 120 rear 81 mph, with a 110 rear, 82 mph--GPS.

Absolutely no physical way for the stock gearing as specified in the owners manual, to get that bike to 95 on a stock engine.

Stock gearing is stock gearing......if the dealer changed it.........then it's not stock gearing.

14:47, flat out on pavement, 96--GPS.

Depends on how u receive your bike, they are geared up to pass DOT noise levels & that gearing will probably pull 95 or 100. Most dealers (reputable ones) will gear them down so you don't cruze round town in 1st gear:confused:

In the US the 450x does not come configured as a street legal bike. In stock trim here (since the poster is from Illinios) I believe they all come with 13/51 gearing.

Flat out, tucked in, on pavement according to my Trail Tech-88 MPH

Yes, I hit 88.6 on my GPS with the stock 13/51 gearing and stock tire. Engine mods don't matter for this, as I had plenty more power on tap. I also did not hit the rev limiter, but it sounded close. It was fast enough for a gravel road with a corner coming up.

Flat out against the stop, stock gearing........with a 120 rear 81 mph, with a 110 rear, 82 mph--GPS.

Absolutely no physical way for the stock gearing as specified in the owners manual, to get that bike to 95 on a stock engine.

Stock gearing is stock gearing......if the dealer changed it.........then it's not stock gearing.

14:47, flat out on pavement, 96--GPS.

+1 with that info/commentary.

... I've never heard of, or seen a dealer change the sprockets... for any reason. But, I've never bought a bike out of Cali either. I'm a bit sheltered. :)

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I guess I forgot to make it clear that stock gearing would be 13/51. It looks like other countries or dealers may install different final drives.

I didn't get a chance to run my X flat out yet. Just picked it up and I'm waiting for the DMV to send me plates.

I was hoping to, at the very least, match the top speed of my XR400 which is 87mph (stock gearing), without gearing the 450x higher, and losing it's tight woods capabilities.

Looks like I may have to drop the rear sprocket about two teeth.

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I guess I forgot to make it clear that stock gearing would be 13/51. It looks like other countries or dealers may install different final drives.

I didn't get a chance to run my X flat out yet. Just picked it up and I'm waiting for the DMV to send me plates.

I was hoping to, at the very least, match the top speed of my XR400 which is 87mph (stock gearing), without gearing the 450x higher, and losing it's tight woods capabilities.

Looks like I may have to drop the rear sprocket about two teeth.

I wouldn't sweat the difference, if you're not going to be doing to much hwy riding and mostly riding tight stuff. Stock will be just fine. If you're doing a lot of open desert, or fast fire road, and some hwy stuff........then you'll want to gear up a bit more than just dropping 2 off the rear.

I ride alot of duel sporting.

I'll ride 80-100 miles of tight, twisty, single track trails and then cruise 30-40 miles of roads/highway back to the truck.

I would like to keep the rpms down as much as possible while cruising 60-75 mph. I don't want to be flat out for 30 -40 miles

My XR400 doesn't do too bad. Tops out at 87mph.

It sounds like, from the posts, the 450x runs about the same.

I figured since the 450x runs at a higher rpm, the top seed would have been more.

I believe the XR400 runs about 8500-9000 rpm on the rev. limiter.

I though the 450x ran in the 12000 rpm range?

Stock gearing sucks. For what you are doing, 14/48 would be a good setup. Just remember to put a full quart of tranny oil in every change.

ps. 15/47, R spec, 120 rear tire = 100mph+

How about those 100+ mph claims... (all too often)

Screw that... gear it up, if an R can do 121mph....

What would the X be capable of?! :D

(this is sure to bring some interesting thoughts/opinions/concepts)

:)

I'm temporarily running a 15/48 ratio and two weeks ago, according to my Vapor computer (I know...it is probably not that accurate but I did measure the front wheel) I hit 97.6 miles and hour on Wheeler Road (shh, don't tell the BLM Rangers :worthy:), which has an improved dirt surface. Off the top of my head I think the RPMs were in the neighborhood of 11k. I wish I knew how fast I was really going according to GPS, but I don't.

I ride alot of duel sporting.

I'll ride 80-100 miles of tight, twisty, single track trails and then cruise 30-40 miles of roads/highway back to the truck.

I would like to keep the rpms down as much as possible while cruising 60-75 mph. I don't want to be flat out for 30 -40 miles

My XR400 doesn't do too bad. Tops out at 87mph.

It sounds like, from the posts, the 450x runs about the same.

I figured since the 450x runs at a higher rpm, the top seed would have been more.

I believe the XR400 runs about 8500-9000 rpm on the rev. limiter.

I though the 450x ran in the 12000 rpm range?

For that, I'd gear it up, bit more than a couple off the rear though. I've commuted literally thousands of miles on mine with the stock gearing, and 14:47...........14:47 is pretty good, but it's a tad tall for really tight single track. Not sure how much of a diff going to a 48 will make.......... You're going to be off one way or the other, IMHO, but it'll get you where you want to be for a 70 mph cruising rpm.

Going on a long ride with some connecting dirt roads this weekend. It's gonna be dusty, so I'd prefer not to follow people. I'm gonna make a landspeed run with my newly installed Vapor. I will be able to report the GPS speed, Vapor speed, and RPM at that speed. If I don't reply by Tuesday, you can assume it was a m00se or an elk that took me out.